1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fnet Question

1. Jun 15, 2006 #1
    Hey there all of you.

I am doing some studying for my final for physics and i have come across this question. I thought it was easy but it is not working that way. The question is. A 4kg block (held by a block) is accelerating down at 3 m/s/s, what is the tension of the rope?

So I am thinking to do this:
    Fnet = ma
    T - Fg = ma
    T = ma + mg
    T = 4kg(-3m/s/s) + 4kg(-9.8m/s/s)
    T = 51N

So I look at the answer and it is wrong, it says it is: 27N

So now I try making the opposite end negative.

Fnet = ma
    Fg - T = ma
    - T = ma - mg
    T = -ma + mg
    T = -4kg(-3m/s/s) + 4kg(-9.8m/s/s)
    T = 27N

Now I am getting the right answer. However I can not get the correct answer doing the same question the other way, so my question is what am I doing wrong? Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2006 #2
    u need to draw the Free-body Diagram. Once drawn, u with find that the tension is in an upwards direction, the weight downwards.

since it is accelerating downwards, there is a netforce in the downwards direction. thus mg-T = ma allows acceleration downwards. ( this means mg>T)

However, T-mg = ma give a netforce in the upwards direction, the object is not accelerating in the upwards direction. ( this means T>mg, but is this true ? )
  4. Jun 15, 2006 #3
    I am sorry, I do not quite follow. Isn't the netforce up AND down?
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  5. Jun 15, 2006 #4
    nope, Net force = Resultant force

A net force (also known as a resultant force) is a vector produced when two or more forces act upon a single object. It is calculated by adding the force vectors acting upon the object.

for example, i put a 10N object on a table what is te net force?

the object has a weight of 10N, and by newton 3rd law, the table exert a 10N force on the object also.

the force exerted by table is in a upwards direction and the weight is in a downwards direction.

thus the net force is [tex]F_net = 10 - 10 = 0[/tex] thus the object is not accelerating, as a netforce will cause it to accelerate
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?