Solving a Physics Puzzle: Calculating Rope Tension

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving a 4kg block accelerating downwards at 3 m/s/s and the tension of the rope holding the block. The conversation includes a calculation method and an explanation of net force. Ultimately, the correct answer is 27N, but there is confusion over the direction of the net force and what is causing it.
JayDub
Hey there all of you.

I am doing some studying for my final for physics and i have come across this question. I thought it was easy but it is not working that way. The question is. A 4kg block (held by a block) is accelerating down at 3 m/s/s, what is the tension of the rope?

So I am thinking to do this:
Fnet = ma
T - Fg = ma
T = ma + mg
T = 4kg(-3m/s/s) + 4kg(-9.8m/s/s)
T = 51N

So I look at the answer and it is wrong, it says it is: 27N

So now I try making the opposite end negative.

Fnet = ma
Fg - T = ma
- T = ma - mg
T = -ma + mg
T = -4kg(-3m/s/s) + 4kg(-9.8m/s/s)
T = 27N

Now I am getting the right answer. However I can not get the correct answer doing the same question the other way, so my question is what am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
u need to draw the Free-body Diagram. Once drawn, u with find that the tension is in an upwards direction, the weight downwards.

since it is accelerating downwards, there is a netforce in the downwards direction. thus mg-T = ma allows acceleration downwards. ( this means mg>T)

However, T-mg = ma give a netforce in the upwards direction, the object is not accelerating in the upwards direction. ( this means T>mg, but is this true ? )

I am sorry, I do not quite follow. Isn't the netforce up AND down?

Last edited:
nope, Net force = Resultant force

A net force (also known as a resultant force) is a vector produced when two or more forces act upon a single object. It is calculated by adding the force vectors acting upon the object.

for example, i put a 10N object on a table what is te net force?

the object has a weight of 10N, and by Newton 3rd law, the table exert a 10N force on the object also.

the force exerted by table is in a upwards direction and the weight is in a downwards direction.

thus the net force is [tex]F_net = 10 - 10 = 0[/tex] thus the object is not accelerating, as a netforce will cause it to accelerate

1. How do I calculate the tension in a rope?

To calculate the tension in a rope, you need to know the weight of the object being supported by the rope, the angle at which the rope is attached, and the length of the rope. You can then use the formula T = W / sinθ, where T is the tension, W is the weight, and θ is the angle.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension in a rope?

Static tension refers to the amount of force a rope can withstand without breaking when it is not moving, while dynamic tension refers to the amount of force a rope can withstand while in motion. Dynamic tension is typically higher than static tension due to factors such as acceleration and friction.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the tension in a rope?

The mass of an object affects the tension in a rope because the weight of the object is one of the factors in the tension formula (T = W / sinθ). The heavier the object, the greater the tension in the rope will be, assuming all other factors remain constant.

4. What other factors besides weight and angle can affect rope tension?

Other factors that can affect rope tension include the material and thickness of the rope, the surface the rope is attached to, and any external forces acting on the rope (such as wind or other objects).

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my rope tension calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of your rope tension calculations, it is important to use precise measurements for weight, angle, and rope length. It is also important to consider all external factors that may affect tension and make adjustments accordingly. Double-checking your calculations and using multiple methods to confirm your results can also help ensure accuracy.