Solving Sliding Object Down Ramp: Horizontal Forces Only?

In summary, the conversation was about calculating Fnet for an object sliding down a ramp. The teacher clarified that only horizontal forces should be taken into account, and explained that positive forces are those that make the box move downward, while negative forces are those acting opposite of motion. When summing the forces, friction and upward forces should be considered as negatives, while the force of the ramp and downward forces should be considered as positives. The reason for this is to accurately calculate acceleration.
ItsNoah
I went to ask my teacher for extra help and we were doing a problem about an object sliding down a ramp. When I calculated the Fnet I added all the forces together acting on the box but she said that you only take into account the horizontal forces. Any clarification would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason I ask this is because I thought when adding Fnet up you add up all the forces. ALSO: i was trying to calculate acceleration so is this why you only add up the horizontal forces?

If the box is sliding down the ramp, then the positive forces would be the ones that are making it move, meaning the ones acting downward. The negative forces would be the ones acting opposite of motion, like friction. so when you sum the forces, make sure you have friction and any force applied upward as negatives, and then the force of the plane and any forces applied downward as positives.

1. What is the purpose of solving sliding object down ramp?

The purpose of solving sliding object down ramp is to determine the horizontal forces acting on an object as it slides down a ramp. This can help understand the motion and acceleration of the object and how it is affected by friction and other external forces.

2. How do you calculate the horizontal forces on a sliding object?

To calculate the horizontal forces on a sliding object, you need to use Newton's second law of motion which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. By understanding the acceleration of the object down the ramp and considering any external forces such as friction, you can calculate the net horizontal force acting on the object.

3. What factors can affect the horizontal forces on a sliding object?

The factors that can affect the horizontal forces on a sliding object include the mass of the object, the angle of the ramp, the coefficient of friction between the object and the ramp, and any external forces such as air resistance or applied forces.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the horizontal forces on a sliding object?

The angle of the ramp can affect the horizontal forces on a sliding object by changing the acceleration of the object. As the angle of the ramp increases, the component of the force acting down the ramp (parallel to the surface) increases, leading to a greater acceleration down the ramp. This can also increase the friction force, which opposes the motion of the object.

5. What is the significance of understanding horizontal forces on a sliding object?

Understanding horizontal forces on a sliding object is important in many real-world scenarios, such as designing ramps and inclined planes for objects to slide down, analyzing the motion of objects on a rollercoaster, and predicting the trajectory of objects on a slope. It also helps in understanding the concept of force and motion and how various factors can affect it.