Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foams and gravity

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Dear all,

What do you think, how the gravity effects on the structure of aqueous foams?
    I' ve just made a series of "http://www.admatis.com" [Broken], Bremen, Germany.
    There are a lot of experiments available in micro-g, using parabolic flight missions.

I would be happy to discuss with you the recent results and the open questions!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I know nothing about such stuff, and unfortunately can't understand the first link, but it looks fascinating. I'll certainly monitor this thread.

4. Nov 17, 2006 #3
    I would guess that gravity plays only a small role in foam formation, because surface tension is far greater of a force in this situtation and the mass of the foam surfaces is small.

I was surmise that gravity only has a settling effect.

5. Nov 18, 2006 #4

Mk

In case you didn't find the English versions, it's here. Not the whole site is also in English.

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5
    Sorry

Dear PhysicsForumers,

I am sorry that I answer so late. I think quinn is right, we can expect that gravity level has a small effect (but it do have some!) on foam evolution because the effect of gravity is proportional to the mass, and foams have small mass.
    Here is a little article about foams, (sorry for my bad English.:frown: ) see the attachment. It will appear on the website (with pictures) I linked in the "http://www.admatis.com" [Broken]. For starting, one of the best article about the physics of foams is the so called Making, Measuring and Modelling Foams, by Denis Weairie and Stefan Hutzler, Europhysics News, May/June 1999.

A lot of experiments has been carried out in micro-g, to obstruct the gravity-driven drainage, and to achieve stable foam structures even from materials that are unstable on Earth. we tried out, what happens in macro-g. We could not measure the cell wall thickness inside the foam, we only monitored the foam heights. We expected that with increasing gravity levels it is more difficult to create foams. :bugeye:
    It is true. See the the plot below, made from raw data. I am looking forward to evaluate all of our measurements and to clarify the effect of macro-g.
    Hopefully, there will be detailed results within a few months.. :rolleyes:

Kind regards,
    T, the Magician

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM
  7. Feb 25, 2007 #6
    Some new material

Hi, dear Forumers and Foamers,

There is a new publication about the above mentioned foaming experiments at the "http://www.zarm.uni-bremen.de" [Broken] home page. Check it out, if you have some free time! Follow: Facilities/Centrifuge/Application/Scientific Applications

Regards,

T.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook