Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foams and gravity

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Dear all,

What do you think, how the gravity effects on the structure of aqueous foams?
    I' ve just made a series of experiments in macrogravity, using a huge centrifuge at ZARM, Bremen, Germany.
    There are a lot of experiments available in micro-g, using parabolic flight missions.

I would be happy to discuss with you the recent results and the open questions!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

Gold Member

I know nothing about such stuff, and unfortunately can't understand the first link, but it looks fascinating. I'll certainly monitor this thread.
  4. Nov 17, 2006 #3
    I would guess that gravity plays only a small role in foam formation, because surface tension is far greater of a force in this situtation and the mass of the foam surfaces is small.

I was surmise that gravity only has a settling effect.
  5. Nov 18, 2006 #4

In case you didn't find the English versions, it's here. Not the whole site is also in English.
  6. Dec 6, 2006 #5

Dear PhysicsForumers,

I am sorry that I answer so late. I think quinn is right, we can expect that gravity level has a small effect (but it do have some!) on foam evolution because the effect of gravity is proportional to the mass, and foams have small mass.
    Here is a little article about foams, (sorry for my bad English.:frown: ) see the attachment. It will appear on the website (with pictures) I linked in the first thread. For starting, one of the best article about the physics of foams is the so called Making, Measuring and Modelling Foams, by Denis Weairie and Stefan Hutzler, Europhysics News, May/June 1999.

A lot of experiments has been carried out in micro-g, to obstruct the gravity-driven drainage, and to achieve stable foam structures even from materials that are unstable on Earth. we tried out, what happens in macro-g. We could not measure the cell wall thickness inside the foam, we only monitored the foam heights. We expected that with increasing gravity levels it is more difficult to create foams. :bugeye:
    It is true. See the the plot below, made from raw data. I am looking forward to evaluate all of our measurements and to clarify the effect of macro-g.
    Hopefully, there will be detailed results within a few months.. :rolleyes:

Kind regards,
    T, the Magician

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  7. Feb 25, 2007 #6
    Some new material

Hi, dear Forumers and Foamers,

There is a new publication about the above mentioned foaming experiments at the ZARM Institut's home page. Check it out, if you have some free time! Follow: Facilities/Centrifuge/Application/Scientific Applications

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?