1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal length of a distorted window

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. What is the focal length of a dewar window distorted by a pressure difference? As a result of the pressure difference, the radius of the first surface of the window is R1 = 100 meters. The window is 3 mm thick, with an index n = 4 at l = 4 um.
    2. Relevant equations
    I think I can just use the thin lens equation? 1/f=(n-1)/R

3. The attempt at a solution

My concern with using the thin lens equation is I'm not sure if a distorted window creates a lens? I know the focal length of a window is naturally infinite. If its bent does it then act as a lens? If not what formula do I use to prove it still acts as a window?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an excellent problem in that it teaches you practical applications. Basically, you still have a window if you are about 1/2 way, inside of the focal length. And that is, from a practical aspect, a window. However, crank out the numbers and you find that if you are far enough away (and with a good magnifying device, not sure what is applicable, Cause I didn't crunch the numbers either, maybe binoculars, maybe a large telescope), you will see an image, because it will behave like a lens past its focal point (at that distance, you may have trouble finding the focal point, hence the calculation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted