What Focal Length Eyepiece Provides a -125 Magnification?

In summary, the medium-power objective lens in a laboratory microscope has a focal length of 3.75 mm. To find the focal length of the eyepiece lens for an overall magnification of -125, the equation M=(-di/fobjective)(N/feyepiece) can be used. However, with two unknown values, di and feyepiece, you need additional information. Part A provides the necessary working distance value to solve part B, as they are related. In general, if a problem consists of multiple parts, the missing value for a later part can be found using given information or previous answers.
Anna M

Homework Statement

The medium-power objective lens in a laboratory microscope has a focal length fobjective = 3.75 mm.

What is the focal length of an eyepiece lens that will provide an overall magnification of -125? Assume student's near-point distance is N=25cm.

Homework Equations

M=(-di/fobjective)(N/feyepiece)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have set up my equation and plugged in all the known values, but I do not understand how to solve when you have 2 unknown values (di and feyepiece).

Part A of this question says: If this lens produces a lateral magnification of -46.0, what is its "working distance"; that is, what is the distance from the object to the objective lens?
I have worked Part A out, but I am not sure if they correlate and I am supposed to use values from that portion or if they are completely separate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to use the working distance found in part A to solve part B. Otherwise you don't know ##di##.
Generally, if a problem consists of more than 1 part, and you're missing a value for a later part, the missing value can be found using given information or your answers in previous parts. That's been my experience at least.

Likes Anna M

1. What is the focal length of an eyepiece?

The focal length of an eyepiece refers to the distance between the eyepiece and the point at which the light rays passing through the eyepiece converge to form a clear image. It is usually measured in millimeters (mm) and can vary depending on the type and design of the eyepiece.

2. How does the focal length of an eyepiece affect magnification?

The focal length of an eyepiece is directly related to the magnification of the telescope. A shorter focal length will result in a higher magnification, while a longer focal length will result in a lower magnification. This is because a shorter focal length causes the light rays to converge at a shorter distance, making the image appear larger.

3. Can I change the focal length of an eyepiece?

Yes, the focal length of an eyepiece can be changed by using different eyepieces with varying focal lengths. This allows for different levels of magnification and can be useful for observing different objects in the night sky.

4. What is the ideal focal length for an eyepiece?

The ideal focal length for an eyepiece depends on the type of telescope and the object being observed. Generally, a longer focal length is recommended for viewing large, extended objects like galaxies and nebulae, while a shorter focal length is better for viewing smaller, more detailed objects like planets.

5. How does the focal length of an eyepiece affect the field of view?

The focal length of an eyepiece is directly related to the field of view, which is the amount of sky visible through the eyepiece. A shorter focal length will result in a wider field of view, allowing you to see more of the night sky at once. On the other hand, a longer focal length will result in a narrower field of view, making it easier to focus on individual objects.