1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal length of Lens

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You take a picture of a poster on the wall of a room and maximum distance you can get from the picture is 3.1 m. The poster is 0.8 m wide and 1.2 m tall and you want it to fit in the 24 x 36 mm frame of the film in your camera.

What is the largest focal length lens that you can use? ____mm

2. Relevant equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
    M=-di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this. What I tried, for starters, was find the ratio of the areas of the poster (0.96m^2) and the film (8.64E-4 m^2). I thought that by finding the ratio of the film to the poster would give me magnification which was equal to 9E-4. Then, using this number, I used the equation M=-di/do, plugged in 9E-4 for M and 3.1 for do and tried solving di and got -0.00279m. Then, I plugged this in the equation 1/f=1/do +1/di to solve for f and I got: 1/f=(1/3.1)+ -(1/.00279) = (-358.1 m) and took the inverse to be -0.00279 m. Then, converting to mm, it was -2.79mm.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Don't use the ratios of the areas. Use the ratios of the sides.

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    Thank you very much. I finally got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?