1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal length

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    " A converging lens has a focal length f. The object location at magnification equal to -1 is? "

2. Relevant equations
    m = -S'/S

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my solution:

M= -1 , S=??
    M= -S'/S
    -1 = -S'/S
    S= -S'/-1
    S=S'
    And from case 2 that says if an object is placed at 2F the image will be inverted, real , and have the same size as the object.
    And from the last sentence ( backed up with my conclusion of S=S' ) the object is placed at 2F.
    Is my answer correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer is correct if by 2F you mean the object should be placed at a distance 2f from the lens, where f is the focal length of the lens. The symbol F is usually used to label a focal point, so 2F doesn't have much meaning.

I'm not familiar with the "case 2" statement which apparently gives the answer immediately.

For practice, see if you can get the answer without "case 2". Use the lens equation 1/S + 1/S' = 1/f for the case where S = S'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted