Focal spot size limit??

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Did not know how to word this properly.

Looking for an equation to show the behaviour of how EM can be "lensed" as a function of wavelength/frequency.

ie RF waves can not be lensed/focussed to a spot.

what equation determines the minimum spot size a lens can focus EM radiation as a function of frequency?

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
thanks guys. this is precisely the physics I was looking for.

haven't read through it all in detail but am I right in thinking the spot size is purely a function of the hardware transforming the light?

in the airy pattern, which is what is caused by diffraction from a circular aperture, would that increase the beam diameter after the aperture ie in general the smaller the aperture will cause greater spreading ie more diffraction. so therefore, if I am thinking right, a smaller beam will be achieved by a transparent lens than an aperture via diffraction.

I am going to try link the beam waist formula to the airy disc radius, but not sure if I am messing up the wrong two concepts.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
in the airy pattern, which is what is caused by diffraction from a circular aperture, would that increase the beam diameter after the aperture ie in general the smaller the aperture will cause greater spreading ie more diffraction. so therefore, if I am thinking right, a smaller beam will be achieved by a transparent lens than an aperture via diffraction.
You're right in that a lens will make a smaller airy disk than an open aperture, but there's still a fundamental limit to how small the airy disk can be which is based on the size of the aperture and the wavelength of the incoming light/radiation. A larger aperture and/or smaller wavelength gives a smaller airy disk.