1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Focal spot size limit??

1. Jun 19, 2016 #1
    Did not know how to word this properly.

Looking for an equation to show the behaviour of how EM can be "lensed" as a function of wavelength/frequency.

ie RF waves can not be lensed/focussed to a spot.

what equation determines the minimum spot size a lens can focus EM radiation as a function of frequency?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 20, 2016 #3

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Is this what you are asking about? The Abbe diffraction limit of a microscope, which is r = λ/2.8. Shine a light thru the eyepiece and that is the minimum obtainable spot radius.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction-limited_system

5. Jun 20, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe you're asking about the Airy Disk. Try the math in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk

6. Jun 20, 2016 #5
    thanks guys. this is precisely the physics I was looking for.

haven't read through it all in detail but am I right in thinking the spot size is purely a function of the hardware transforming the light?

in the airy pattern, which is what is caused by diffraction from a circular aperture, would that increase the beam diameter after the aperture ie in general the smaller the aperture will cause greater spreading ie more diffraction. so therefore, if I am thinking right, a smaller beam will be achieved by a transparent lens than an aperture via diffraction.

I am going to try link the beam waist formula to the airy disc radius, but not sure if I am messing up the wrong two concepts.

7. Jun 20, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You're right in that a lens will make a smaller airy disk than an open aperture, but there's still a fundamental limit to how small the airy disk can be which is based on the size of the aperture and the wavelength of the incoming light/radiation. A larger aperture and/or smaller wavelength gives a smaller airy disk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted