Partial Tracing Techniques for Fermionic Partition Functions

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating a partition function in condensed matter physics using fermionic operators. They have tried various techniques but have not found a feasible solution. They are asking for advice or literature recommendations, and the expert suggests using the path integral technique. The individual also asks if there are any well-known methods for decomposing density matrices and evaluating traces in second quantization, to which the expert suggests writing down the possible states and doing a finite sum. However, the individual clarifies that they only want to do a partial trace over the a-particles, which complicates the process.
ledamage
Hi there!

Up to now, I've been not so familiar with theoretical condensed matter physics but now I have to calculate a partition function of the type

[tex]Z = \mathrm{Tr}\,\mathrm{e}^{-\beta(a^\dagger a + a^\dagger b + ab^\dagger)}[/tex]

where [itex]a, a^\dagger, b, b^\dagger[/itex] are fermionic annihilition/creation operators. I want to take only a partial trace over the [itex]a[/itex]-particles. I've tried several things such as BHC and the Trotter product formula and evaluation of the exponential for certain parts of the Hamiltonian but I've obtained nothing which is actually feasible. I've had a look in several books about many-particle quantum theory but found nothing useful. Is this problem elementary? Any ideas or literature recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend the path integral technique, which is introduced in many field theory books.

Okay, I guessed as much. Thanks!

Edit: Maybe, yet still another question: this is a finite dimensional Fock space with four basis elements (the tensor products of one 0-particle and one 1-particle state for both a and b). Are there really no well-known methods to decompose density matrices like this and evaluate the trace within the second quantization formalism?

Last edited:
Why not just write down the possible states and do the trace? It's just a finite sum, as you've noticed.

You're right if I wanted to do the complete trace. Then one could diagonalize the Hamiltonian and do the sum. But what if I just want to do the trace over the a-particles? Then diagonalizing would destroy the possibility of doing the partial trace easily, wouldn't it? And otherwise, I have to find a decomposition of the exponential because direct evaluation yields awkward sums which I couldn't do in closed form.

1. What is a Fock space?

A Fock space, also known as a boson Fock space, is a mathematical construct used in quantum mechanics to describe the state space for a collection of identical bosons. It is a generalization of the concept of a single-particle Hilbert space, where each state is represented by a different number of particles.

2. What are Fock space tracing techniques?

Fock space tracing techniques are mathematical methods used to analyze and manipulate the states and operators in a Fock space. These techniques involve using operators such as creation and annihilation operators to represent the creation and annihilation of particles in different states, and using commutation and anticommutation relations to simplify calculations.

3. What is the purpose of using Fock space tracing techniques?

The main purpose of using Fock space tracing techniques is to calculate the properties and behavior of a system of identical bosons. These techniques allow for the calculation of observables such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum, as well as the study of bosonic interactions.

4. How are Fock space tracing techniques different from other quantum mechanical techniques?

Fock space tracing techniques are specific to systems of identical bosons, whereas other quantum mechanical techniques can be used for a wider range of systems. Additionally, Fock space tracing techniques involve manipulating operators and states in a Fock space, while other techniques may involve solving differential equations or using matrix methods.

5. What are some applications of Fock space tracing techniques?

Fock space tracing techniques have a variety of applications in fields such as quantum optics, condensed matter physics, and quantum information theory. They can be used to study phenomena such as superfluidity and Bose-Einstein condensation, as well as to simulate and analyze quantum computing algorithms.