Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focus, Attention, And Mental Filters

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    Since I got interested enough in Neanderthal man to start reading about him, and because this leads to questions about whether or not modern man could have bred with Neanderthal, I have found myself getting into the habit of constantly checking out the slope of the foreheads of every person I now see. This has become a habit: I do it automatically, and don't make any effort. I realized today that I'm hardly paying attention to any other aspect of people's faces anymore: I'm just keeping an eye on everyone, waiting fo them to offer that profile view so I can gage the slope of their forhead.
    This is a pretty extreme example of an odd mental filter. Throughout my life I've gone through a long succession of less bizarre ones. Another one I can recall is going around paying particular and exclusive attention to color. This has happened a few times, sometimes in conjunction with being heavily involved in artwork, and sometimes because of reading about how the eyes and brain create and percieve color.
    I wonder if anyone else has any examples they recall of especially strange mental filters, like noticing the slope of peoples' forheads all the time?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I always notice handedness. Although I haven't done a real survey yet (I'm going to), it appears that about 40% of our customers are lefties.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    Some years ago I started cutting silhouettes, just as a hobby. Not just people but plants and animals too. Befor long I began to view almost everything in a black and white profile.
    And there was one time I would catch myself looking at growth patterns of body hair on males, well that was a weird summer anyways.:redface:

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What exactly do you count as a mental filter?

6. Oct 14, 2005 #5
    If you're concerned I'm not using the term here rigorously, I probably am not. If it helps clarify: both Danger and Hypatia gave good examples of the sort of thing I was thinking about.

7. Oct 14, 2005 #6

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not worried about rigor, I'm just genuinely not sure what you would consider to count as a mental filter. Do you just mean regularly noticing certain things that you normally/previously wouldn't think twice about?

8. Oct 14, 2005 #7
    I mean extreme examples of paying attention to one phenomenon, dynamic, or subject, to the exclusion of others. If, for example, I go around specifically paying attention to the colors of things, I am not noticing their shapes, and I am also not paying attention to the sounds around me, among many other things I might notice if I weren't so focused on one sort of thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?