Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focusing magnetic field?

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Is it possible to focus a magnetic field?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2
    you mean, like a laser?

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    Well, not necessary like a laser (that would be good too) but more like to focus it to go where I want it to go. Like when using a lens and focusing Sun rays.

5. May 24, 2012 #4
    Yes you can. For example with a cone shaped piece of iron. Place the magnet on the wide end of the cone and you get a concentrated field at the tip. Another method is shown in this video using 2 flat pieces of iron. (actually an iron alloy maybe similar to the stuff used in transformers)

It's all about magnetic flux and magnetic circuits.
    This article may help you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. May 24, 2012 #5
    Light is just an electromagnetic wave, so if focus light, you are focusing a magnetic field. If you are interested in a magnetic field without the electric field, you can focus it next your device, as Dr. Zoidberg shows, but you can't direct a magnetic field to be strongest far away from your sources of current.

7. May 25, 2012 #6
    Did I understand you correctly, I can use magnifying glass and focus magnetic waves the same way I would use it to focus light in one point?

8. May 25, 2012 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no you cant. Khashishi is leading you astray somewhat

you originally asked about a magnetic field and for some reason Khashishi started on about a laser which had nothing to do with what you asked

I liked K^2 response in this forum a couple of years ago to a similar question to yours

full thread...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=394402

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: May 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook