1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focusing magnetic field?

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Is it possible to focus a magnetic field?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2
    you mean, like a laser?

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    Well, not necessary like a laser (that would be good too) but more like to focus it to go where I want it to go. Like when using a lens and focusing Sun rays.

5. May 24, 2012 #4
    Yes you can. For example with a cone shaped piece of iron. Place the magnet on the wide end of the cone and you get a concentrated field at the tip. Another method is shown in this video using 2 flat pieces of iron. (actually an iron alloy maybe similar to the stuff used in transformers)

It's all about magnetic flux and magnetic circuits.
    This article may help you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. May 24, 2012 #5
    Light is just an electromagnetic wave, so if focus light, you are focusing a magnetic field. If you are interested in a magnetic field without the electric field, you can focus it next your device, as Dr. Zoidberg shows, but you can't direct a magnetic field to be strongest far away from your sources of current.

7. May 25, 2012 #6
    Did I understand you correctly, I can use magnifying glass and focus magnetic waves the same way I would use it to focus light in one point?

8. May 25, 2012 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no you cant. Khashishi is leading you astray somewhat

you originally asked about a magnetic field and for some reason Khashishi started on about a laser which had nothing to do with what you asked

I liked K^2 response in this forum a couple of years ago to a similar question to yours

full thread...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=394402

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: May 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook