Harness Sea Wave Energy: Focus Waves w/ Diffraction & Floating Breakwaters

In summary, this fascinating idea suggests that it may be possible to use diffraction to focus the energy of sea waves on the principle of the zone plate, but reduced to 2 dimensions. Tweakable by changing the spacing of the wave-opaque objects. This could be a useful way to save the planet by improving the economic feasibility of wave power electrical generation devices, as well as making surfing possible on days and in places where otherwise it wouldn't be possible. However, the workability of this idea will depend strongly on how uniform the wavelength is and how hard it is to change the grid spacing to adjust the diffraction.
Rayner
Would it be possible to use diffraction to focus the enrgy of sea waves, on the principle of the zone plate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_plate) but reduced to 2 dimensions? This could be done by an array of wave-opaque objects such as floating breakwaters, particularly along coasts exposed to ocean swells of fairly uniform wavelengths. Tweakable of course by changing the spacing.

Not only might this save the planet by improving the economic feasibility of wave power electrical generation devices, but more importantly could also make surfing possible on days and in places where otherwise it wouldn't be.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Facinating idea. I think the workability will depend strongly on how uniform the wavelengths are and how hard it is to change the grid spacing to adjust the diffraction.

I also think that floating breakwaters may not work as well as more rigid structures extending well below the surface.

Dr. Courtney said:
Facinating idea. I think the workability will depend strongly on how uniform the wavelengths are and how hard it is to change the grid spacing to adjust the diffraction.

I also think that floating breakwaters may not work as well as more rigid structures extending well below the surface.

I agree. This is a fascinating idea.

google google google

Drats!

Wave energy gets to the point (Nature)
Water lens' might help to harness the ocean's energy.
11 October 2005
Xinhua Hu and Che Ting Chan of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology say that a forest of pillars standing in orderly rows in shallow water can bend ocean waves by refraction...

google google google

Sweet!

The world’s most terrifying 'SWIMMING POOL'
Ocean simulator replicates enormous storm waves to study tidal power (dailymail.co.uk)
16 July 2014
Fancy a swim in a pool that has waves nine-stories high and currents four times faster than an Olympic swimmer?
That’s what awaits you if you stumble into the state-of-the-art wave pool named FloWave at the University of Edinburgh.
Of course it’s actually designed for engineers to test new technologies for wave turbines, rather than giving confident swimmers a run for their money.

Likes Drakkith
OmCheeto said:
I agree. This is a fascinating idea.

google google google

Drats!
google google google

Sweet!
I don't think diffraction will work because the sea waves are not coherent across a wide front. But a curved reflector would work. Similar action can be seen wherever two walls form a corner, giving rough conditions in between.

tech99 said:
... sea waves are not coherent across a wide front. ...
How wide is your front?
Are there "fronts" where sea waves are generally coherent?
I may have to abscond with some friends' and relatives' beachfront homes next summer, and measure that for myself. :wink:

1. What is sea wave energy and how does it work?

Sea wave energy is a renewable energy source that harnesses the power of ocean waves to generate electricity. It works by using various devices such as floating breakwaters and diffraction devices to capture the kinetic energy of waves and convert it into usable electricity.

2. What is the role of diffraction in harnessing sea wave energy?

Diffraction is a process where waves pass through a small gap or around an obstacle, causing them to spread out and become concentrated in certain areas. In harnessing sea wave energy, diffraction devices are used to focus the energy of the waves in order to increase their power and make them more suitable for electricity generation.

3. What are floating breakwaters and how do they help harness sea wave energy?

Floating breakwaters are structures that are placed in the ocean to protect coastlines from the force of waves. In terms of harnessing sea wave energy, they are designed to absorb the energy of the waves and convert it into electricity through the use of wave energy converters.

4. What are the benefits of harnessing sea wave energy?

There are several benefits to harnessing sea wave energy. Firstly, it is a renewable energy source, meaning it will never run out. Additionally, it does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making it environmentally friendly. It also has the potential to provide a consistent source of energy, unlike other renewable sources such as wind or solar which are dependent on weather conditions.

5. Are there any challenges associated with harnessing sea wave energy?

Yes, there are some challenges associated with harnessing sea wave energy. One of the main challenges is the cost of building and maintaining the necessary infrastructure, such as floating breakwaters and diffraction devices. Additionally, the technology is still developing and there may be technical issues that need to be addressed. The location of the project is also important, as not all coastlines are suitable for harnessing sea wave energy.