Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foie Gras ban lifted

1. May 14, 2008 #1

Any thoughts on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Probably a secret back door deal to lift the ban if the EPA would declare the polar bear and endangered species. Simply quid pro quo.
  4. May 14, 2008 #3
    I'm still hoping that the California ban will be repealed before it goes into effect. If it does go into effect, expect Nevada's foie gras production and sales to go way up.
  5. May 14, 2008 #4

I'd have thought if consumers knew how it was produced (forced feeding) there would be little demand for it anyway.
  6. May 14, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

People that go to fine dining restaurants don't give a hairy rats a$$ about what the animal suffered just as long as it is trendy and over priced.
  7. May 14, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was a ridiculous ban in the first place. Glad they finally came to their senses! People demand their right to be overfed every day, and then complain when it's done to a goose. Yeesh.
  8. May 14, 2008 #7
    The bird is going to be eaten. So, im not sure what the big deal is.
  9. May 14, 2008 #8
    If it was just regular ol' liver there probably wouldn't be a problem. I think its due to the method of feeding and some people arguing that its inhumane.

Its a pretty petty disagreement and barely newsworthy imho. Much bigger things going on in the world...
  10. May 14, 2008 #9
    I dont think eating the duck is good for its health either! :biggrin:
  11. May 14, 2008 #10
    After all the trouble my mother went through to get me to eat liver, you would think I would stay away from this stuff. But my interest was piqued so I tried some. It tastes very much like polar bear liver.
  12. May 14, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Foie gras is disgusting. It looks like cat food.
  13. May 14, 2008 #12
    Right, just look at veal. Oh, wait...
  14. May 14, 2008 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

this is a slippery slope. have you ever seen how chickens are raised? or cows? or pigs? or snails?
  15. May 14, 2008 #14

Gold Member

But it will be killed humanely, i.e. no suffering.

Don't know why I said that, I had fois gras just last week.
  16. May 14, 2008 #15
    I mean, sure you want to minimize the amount of suffering as much as possible. But at the same time, the bird is going to be eating. These PETA nuts want to make sure these animals are given a four star meal, fresh oats, a nice bath and bedtime story, bla bla bla.

Is it going to make a difference at the end of the day when the bird is dead and in your tummy anyways?
  17. May 14, 2008 #16

Gold Member

You're going to die too. Does it make a difference how you spend the rest of your life?
  18. May 14, 2008 #17
    Im not being raised for food. The duck is. I dont care if the duck is pampered or not, why should I? Its purpose is to get fat, die, and feed someone, and be tasty in the process! :biggrin:

Your analogy makes no sense to me. Are you going to seriously compare a persons life to that of livestock?
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  19. May 14, 2008 #18

Gold Member

The logic is no different than why you don't torture kitties for fun. (I assume you don't.)

There is no need to inflict unnecessary pain and suffering on a living creature. We acknowledge that we are meat-eaters, and we do kill and eat creatures. But their suffering does not serve that interest.

It is a matter of scale. Of course I am not considering them equitable.
  20. May 14, 2008 #19
    Um, yes it is. Killing kitties for fun serves no point other than torture. Killing these ducks is for food. Again, this comparison makes no sense.

Its not unnecessary though. The point is to make them fatter for more food.
  21. May 14, 2008 #20
    Don't you guys feel sorry for that lobster in the tank just before dinner? Of all the ways to go... boiling to death! And so I can eat your flesh!

If there is a cause to fight it should be boiling, not overeating!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?