The Mystery of Folding Paper: Can We Do More Than 8 Times?

In summary, it can't be folded more than 8 times because the power of exponents makes it get too thick/small.
KLscilevothma
folding paper

Why can't we fold a piece of paper more than 8 times, no matter how large it is?

PS I've seen this question in another forum quite a long time ago but no one seems to know why. Some claimed that it can be explained by using some chemistry principles while others said it is related to math.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Math/physics.

Try it...with standard thickness paper, it just gets too thick/small to fold. Even with a large sheet, the powers-of-2 still rapidly cut the size down and make it unfoldable. (I'm sure there's a more elegant explanation than that, but that's all I have time for at the moment!)

But I think it can be done with thinner paper.

If someone offered you $20 a day for a month or $.01 the first day, $.02 the second, $.04 the third, etc., which would you choose?

And how many pieces of paper would you be folding that 8th time?

Ahh, the power of exponents.

the power of exponents
Yeah, I thought of it too when I was on my way back home from school.

However, as long as the dimensions aren't negative (and it will never be negative by folding), I think we can fold it, not by human but by machines. I think it is we who aren't strong enough to fold it, but not machines.

Originally posted by russ_watters
If someone offered you $20 a day for a month or $.01 the first day, $.02 the second, $.04 the third, etc., which would you choose?

And how many pieces of paper would you be folding that 8th time?

Ahh, the power of exponents.

Well, 2 to the power of 30 is roughly 1,000,000,000
so you would make roughly $20, 000, 000 the second way versus $600 the first.

I know which one I would choose.

Originally posted by KL Kam
Why can't we fold a piece of paper more than 8 times, no matter how large it is?

do we know it's impossible. they should make a machine do it. you know, without stubby little fingers!

1. How is it possible to fold a piece of paper more than 8 times?

This is possible because of the exponential increase in thickness that occurs with each fold. While it may seem impossible to fold a piece of paper more than 8 times by hand, it is theoretically possible with the use of a machine or press.

2. Why is 8 considered the limit for folding paper?

This limit is based on the thickness of the paper and the physical limitations of the human body. As the paper gets thicker with each fold, it becomes increasingly difficult to fold and eventually reaches a point where it cannot be folded anymore.

3. Can any type of paper be folded more than 8 times?

Theoretically, any type of paper can be folded more than 8 times. However, the thickness and strength of the paper will play a significant role in whether or not it is possible to fold it more than 8 times.

4. Has anyone successfully folded a piece of paper more than 8 times?

Yes, there have been documented cases of people successfully folding a piece of paper more than 8 times. The current world record for the most folds on a single piece of paper is 12 folds.

5. Are there any real-life applications for understanding the limits of folding paper?

While it may seem like a trivial concept, understanding the limits of folding paper has real-life applications in various fields such as engineering and material science. It can help in designing stronger and more efficient materials that can withstand multiple folds.