Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Folding? people?

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    is anyone folding?

folding@home

it can be installed in console, graphical, or even screensaver :D

if ur about to start...use 24 for the team number to join my team...the OA :P

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Link broken. But you've got my curiosity.

I'm thinkin':
    Folding: origami
    Folding: a small town in California
    Folding: a yoga technique for advanced 4-dimensional spatial travel

4. May 12, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

funny :smile: it's a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. You donate CPU when your computer is idle.

5. May 12, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I've heard something about this relating to the SETI project, but really don't know how it works. Can someone explain in simple terms exactly what goes on? Is it a guaranteed safe site (I got fooled by the BBC fake)? Does it affect what I can do with my computer while it's running? (Like, will it interfere with my own programmes or PF sniping?) What happens when I go off-line or have to reboot? I'd like to participate if the answers are agreeable to me. Thanks.

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    it's safe. I've been donating my cpu time to einstein@home which is a project running in a very similiar way. maybe even identical, I'm not 100% on this. it will use the computing capacity you aren't using at the moment. obviously compiling large programs or doing something else that requires a lot of juice isn't going to run smooth with the project on but you can turn it off at any time. if you reboot or go offline it'll start the computation from where it stopped. you won't be connected to any external machines for long times. you just download a bunch of data, crunch it and send it back to the server.

7. May 12, 2005 #6
    I used to do SETI before but I've changed to folding, since it's more useful (I think).
    Our team
    Me

8. May 12, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks for the info.

Okay, Mcoy, count me in. Team 24, huh? Right. I'll go sign up right now, then go to work and see what's happened when I get home.

edit: No luck! The buggers don't have an OS9 version listed. It was in the FAQ section, but I guess it isn't popular enough any more. When I get home from work I'll contact them and see if it's still available even though not listed.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  9. May 12, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A high fraction of the time, your computer's processor is idle. Hit ctl+alt+del and hit the performance tab and watch the graph. Typing this sentence, the usage on mine never went above 5%. Seti@home (the original distributed computing project) and Folding@home use that 95% that you aren't using.
    Yes.
    No. Newer operating systems are capable of multitasking, load balancing, etc. Essentially, the SETI or Folding thread is assigned the lowest possible priority, so it will always get out of the way of whatever else you are doing. Out of curiosity, I've tested my computer - playing games, running benchmarks - and there is no difference in performance of the system.

The one thing you do lose is the memory. I'm not sure about folding, but SETI uses 16 megs. On my system, I currently have about 200MB free, so its not something I notice. Unless you're short on ram, you won't either.
    The program is capable of being completely autonomous. It picks up where it left off when you reboot and downloads new data to analyze (and uploads the old data) automatically if you are always connected, or it warns you that it needs new data if you aren't always connected.

10. May 12, 2005 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. May 12, 2005 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

installed 'n' folding on my server (athlon 1.8 Ghz + 1.5 gb ddr2600)

12. May 12, 2005 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's good to know that you can set the max allowed CPU that can be used. For instance, I have a laptop and it would overheat pretty fast if I run it on 100% CPU all day.

It's a pity that universities don't install such software on their computers, hundreds of computers just sitting there doing nothing is a waste.

13. May 12, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Many universities do run programs like this on the computers! They really pile up the 'work units' hehe. Others i suspect dont do it because if you allow the student body to use the computers and they need to do something processor/memory intensive, their programs will actually run slow. The thing with Folding@Home (ive been using for about 6 months) is that it will normally be unnoticable and take up about 200 megs of memory ( I think this is adaptive since it benchmarks your system to see how memory/processor intensive of a "work unit" to request from the Stanford server to send to yoru computer). The one thing though is that when I run games, Folding@Home will have a very large impact on its performance for some reason. Maybe the game isnt signaling the comptuer to cut processing power to Folding@Home or it even in "idle" mode, takes up a good deal of power... i dont really know.

Its perfectly safe... can run as a screen saver or a little program that goes into your bottom right thingy with the clock.... name is skipping my mind right now... Its really great to have :D

14. May 12, 2005 #13

russ_watters

Uh, that's not what I said - that was a practical example when 5% is already in use. I don't know if you can actually set it for a max utilization, but I tend to doubt it.
    Well, a computer probably uses another 20-50w of power with one of these programs running. For an individual, that's just a couple of bucks a month, but for a company or a university, that can be a lot of money in energy bills.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  15. May 12, 2005 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, but I run folding@home and if I don't change the config it will use all the CPU that is available. There is a config window where you can instruct to only use a certain percentage of the processor available to it.

16. May 12, 2005 #15

russ_watters

Fair enough - I didn't know about that and so didn't want to imply that with my post.

17. May 12, 2005 #16

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the stats
    Physicsforums

Too bad I am the only on the team

Also, there's a bug with folding @ home and, at least, my ATI Radeon 9600 video card. I have the shut off folding @ home if I want to play video games. The video games minimize all the time if Folding @ home is running.

18. May 12, 2005 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I joined your team! .. It will take a while for my project to finish so I'm not showing yet.

19. May 12, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Guess I'm hooped. All they say is 'please consider upgrading'. Like I can afford a new computer. :grumpy:

20. May 13, 2005 #19
    thanks moniq

actually i use it as a screensaver rather than the graphical clients....but its just as good :D

lol, and i dint notice the folding@home posted at the bio sections...

and i wonder....does the computer conume less power when not processing?

21. May 13, 2005 #20
    Hmmmm... maybe I should send this to our IT department here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?