What is the Folding Space Theory and its Potential Applications?

In summary, the Space Time Drive is a device used to explore the cosmos that was developed by NASA a few years ago. It is more expensive to buy in Chinese yen.
Seeruk
I don't know if I am posting this in the right section, I am still figuring these boards out.

Could someone explain the concept of the folding space theory? I did some research, but I would like others views on the topic.
-Seeruk

Physics news on Phys.org
"Folding space theory" sounds like science fiction to me, not real physics. Where did you hear about it?

I think you mean wormholes.

You are probably thinking of the popular anaology of folding a piece of paper over and being able to travel from one side of the paper to the other by traversing a hole in the folded piece of paper.

For more information you should probably look up wormholes.

If you are interested in faster than light propulsion then also look up the alcubierre warp drive as well as wormholes.

I first read about it in the "Robotech" series of novels...

Not sure if that's what Seeruk is talking about, though...

Possibly from A Wrinkle in Time too? It's been a long time since I read that though.

..and Dune, I believe.

lol.

Spice extends life...
Spice expands consciousness.

robousy said:
Spice extends life...
Spice expands consciousness.
Are we talking folding space or folding spice?

http://www.adventurefoods.com/afdetail.asp?Item=WST

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeruk said:
I don't know if I am posting this in the right section, I am still figuring these boards out.

Could someone explain the concept of the folding space theory? I did some research, but I would like others views on the topic.
-Seeruk
In for example Schwarzschild black holes one of the coordinate transformation equations relating Schwarzschild coordinates of space and time (t,r) to Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates of space and time (t',r') for our region external to the event horizon is
tanh(t/4GM) = t'/r'
but for the interior is
tanh(t/4GM) = r'/t'
(c=1)
The space and time coordinates actually switch places which can be interpereted as space and time folding over at the event horizon.

Folding space and Stephen Hawking

I first heard about folding space in a Hawking's paper (can not remember site ), but this site says a little about it. A concept they do not really cover is this:

You take a section of space, you want to travel from point A to point B. Unfortunately for you, between the points the d = 123 light years ( made up number ) A normal human could never make this trip in their one life span, so what do we do? Fold space so that point A and point B cross each other.
Thus the distance would only take 52 light years ( again made up number ).

A-----------------------------------------------B
<---- 123 light years ---->

\---- B <--- 52 light years ---> A----/
\------------------------------------/

Sorry there really is not a way to express curvature / and \ = curves where space folded. The link shows a better picture...

http://www.slais.ubc.ca/courses/libr500/04-05-wt1/www/b_ballantyne/science_fold.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooooooooooooh.

THAT space folding.

Yup, NASA built one of those devices years ago.
They didn't think it was much use at the time though as they had more important things on their mind than exploring the cosmos like the ISS.

You can pick up the Space Time Drive (or STD) on ebay for a few hundred bucks these days. Its more expensive though if you pay in chinese yen.

1. What is the Folding Space Theory?

The Folding Space Theory is a scientific concept that suggests the existence of extra dimensions in the universe, beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. It proposes that these extra dimensions are folded or curved, allowing for the possibility of shortcuts through space and time.

2. How does the Folding Space Theory relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Folding Space Theory is an extension of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that space and time are intertwined and can be affected by massive objects. The Folding Space Theory builds on this idea by suggesting that the fabric of space-time can be bent or folded, allowing for shortcuts in travel.

3. Is there any evidence to support the Folding Space Theory?

While there is no direct evidence for the Folding Space Theory, it is a mathematically sound concept that has been explored by many scientists. Some theories, such as string theory, also incorporate the idea of extra dimensions, lending support to the possibility of folded space.

4. What practical applications could arise from the Folding Space Theory?

If the Folding Space Theory is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for space travel. By utilizing the shortcuts through space and time, it could potentially reduce travel time to distant planets or galaxies. However, this is purely speculative and would require further research and development.

5. What are the current challenges in studying and understanding the Folding Space Theory?

One of the main challenges in studying the Folding Space Theory is the lack of empirical evidence. It is a highly theoretical concept that is difficult to test and prove using current technology. Additionally, the mathematical equations involved in the theory are complex and require a deep understanding of advanced physics concepts.