Foley resigns from Congress

• News
  • Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, Rep. Mark Foley, a Republican Congressman from Florida, resigned from Congress after it was revealed that he had sent sexually explicit emails and instant messages to teenage male pages. Foley, who was also the chairman of the Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus, had previously introduced legislation to protect children from exploitation. However, it was later revealed that Republican leadership had known about Foley's actions and failed to take action. This scandal, known as "Foleygate," has raised questions about the values and leadership of the Republican party. Many former pages who interacted with Foley described him as friendly and approachable, but later became aware of his darker side. This incident highlights the importance of maintaining appropriate boundaries in mentoring relationships and the need for
Rach3 said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061008/wl_afp/uspoliticschildsexscandal_061008141247;_ylt=AooPDTcwsUzfr5m4YaI5eEqGbToC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl [Broken]

this sort of smearing irritates me.

If Foley was using his power to take advantage of young men for sexual purposes, then he's a creep and should be dealt with appropriately.

If, however, he's engaging in consensual sex with another man (as this article states), what right do people have to plaster this all over the papers?
The article is even clear that the contact began after the paige program.. so where do people get off printing this? His personal life is of no interest to me, nor is it anyone else's business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ptabor said:
this sort of smearing irritates me.

If Foley was using his power to take advantage of young men for sexual purposes, then he's a creep and should be dealt with appropriately.

If, however, he's engaging in consensual sex with another man (as this article states), what right do people have to plaster this all over the papers?
The article is even clear that the contact began after the paige program.. so where do people get off printing this? His personal life is of no interest to me, nor is it anyone else's business.

...Monica...

BobG said:
Reynolds has dropped into a statistical tie with his opponent for election.

Now ABC reports that Reynolds trails by double digits.

ptabor said:
The article is even clear that the contact began after the paige program. so where do people get off printing this? His personal life is of no interest to me, nor is it anyone else's business.
Certainly if it was consensual and the other man was an adult, it is not an issue. However, it does fit a pattern that Foley was interested in pages, some of whom were considered under age in their districts. Apparently the age of consent in District of Columbia is 16, which IMO is too young.

More Republicans knew about Foley's escapades years ago. Apparently, if you're a member of Congress, you have no responsibility to stop the predations of a pedophile - it's sufficient to simply "warn" him.

article said:
The Washington Post reported Sunday night that Rep. Jim Kolbe, R-Ariz., confronted Foley about his Internet communications with teenagers as early as 2000.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061009/ap_on_go_co/congress_pages;_ylt=AsH29olYoXbys9y5G5uqARGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OTB1amhuBHNlYwNtdHM- [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
...Monica...

IMO, these two cases (the 21 year old, specifically) are not even remotely comparable.

Bill Clinton was receiving sexual favors while he was in the oval office, a place used to conduct executive business. While he is "working" in that room, he is on my dime and I have every right to know if he is receiving oral sex on taxpayer money. Had Clinton gone to a bar and met some girl and took her home, then this would be none of my business as it was conducted on his own personal time.

Yes, Foley would have met this man while he was a page, but sexual contact did not start until after the kid was out of public service. From what I know, the sexual contact did not happen on the senate floor, so this, IMO, qualifies as his personal life.

Perhaps I'm splitting hairs here?

Clinton was absolutely wrong to do what he did!

However, the relationship between Monica and Bill was consensual between to adults, :rolleyes: which still doesn't make it right, considering he was married. It was also initiated by Monica - Bill responded, but he did not initiate it.

As for being on the taxpayers dime, perhaps he did it after hours. As president, Clinton lived in the Whitehouse, so that was his home. He probably put in 8 hrs maybe 12 hrs that day.

One has to ask, when the president is on the taxpayers time and when he is not. Is Bush on the taxpayers dime when he is taking holiday at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.

As for Foley, the issue is not the consensul relationships, it is the unsolicited and salacious emails and IMs that Foley sent to one, and perhaps more, male pages under the age of 18. Even if they were 18, Foley engaged in predatory conduct, which is inappropriate.

And for many Republicans, this is about Foley [and others] being gay as well. I know: I've spent waaaaaay too much time in the bible belt. In fact this is what gets me about the Repubicans that I know. They don't seem to uderstand that their own core would take away their rights in a heartbeat.

But the bit about Clinton being on the clock is hilarious! Yep, he should have clocked out first! :biggrin:

Anyway, I see that even a nuclear bomb didn't take Foley off headline news.

Last edited:
With the timeline going back to 2000 now, the suggestion of an innocent oversight strains credibility.

Ivan Seeking said:
With the timeline going back to 2000 now, the suggestion of an innocent oversight strains credibility.

Bye Bye time for Hastert, I fondly hope.

Ivan Seeking said:
And some of the pages of about that time period have spoken publicly about having been warned to keep their distance from Foley. I would like to know who in Congress (members, staff, etc) warned these young men, and what they knew about Foley's behavior, and why they thought it was sufficient to warn these kids about the potential for Foley to prey upon them instead of stopping the sexual predator in the first place. No adult should cover for a pedophile when they know that children are at risk - certainly no elected or appointed public official. From news reports, it seems that the Democrats in the page program were deliberately kept in the dark about Foley's behavior, but Washington is a leaky, gossipy place, and I find it hard to believe that hints of Foley's perversions didn't get around. If any Democrats or their staff knew about this and did nothing, they should resign and potentially face criminal charges. If they knew of Foley's behavior and failed to try to stop it, they are just as complicit as Reynolds, Hastert, and Kolbe.

arildno said:
Well, it shows that they are at least as bad as the Democrats and any other politicians, but I don't see an inflated self-image primarily as a moral flaw, rather, it shows stupidity.
This has been going on since before the Monica Lewinski scandal.

You said they, whoever "they" are, are as bad as the Democrats.

Can you name any current Democratic pedophiles that have been covered for by the current Democratic leadership?

This is not about one bad apple, as the Repub's like to say. Foley's preying on pages has been known since at least 2000, when AZ Rep. Jim Kolbe confronted Foley after being shown sexually explicit emails by a page from Foley.

A spokeswoman for Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.) confirmed yesterday that a former page showed the congressman Internet messages that had made the youth feel uncomfortable with the direction Foley (R-Fla.) was taking their e-mail relationship. Last week, when the Foley matter erupted, a Kolbe staff member suggested to the former page that he take the matter to the clerk of the House, Karen Haas, said Kolbe's press secretary, Korenna Cline.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/08/AR2006100800855.html

This hurts the Republicans because their leadership didn't take action. Foley had been hitting on the pages for 11 years. Hastert should step down for incompetence if nothing else. If he had acted and investigated further, this issue would be dead right now. Foley could have been censured, his seat would be safe, and Hastert, Reynolds, and Boehner would be looking good.

Instead, by it coming out weeks before a crucial election, and the leadership giving conflilcting accounts of who knew what when, and what actions were or were not taken, etc, has greatly damaged the Republican chances in this election. I saw a headline that read GOP in Meltdown. It sure looks that way to me.

Forget about the speakership, I would not be surprised if Hastert loses his seat!

Skyhunter said:
This hurts the Republicans because their leadership didn't take action. Foley had been hitting on the pages for 11 years. Hastert should step down for incompetence if nothing else. If he had acted and investigated further, this issue would be dead right now. Foley could have been censured, his seat would be safe, and Hastert, Reynolds, and Boehner would be looking good.

Instead, by it coming out weeks before a crucial election, and the leadership giving conflilcting accounts of who knew what when, and what actions were or were not taken, etc, has greatly damaged the Republican chances in this election. I saw a headline that read GOP in Meltdown. It sure looks that way to me.

Forget about the speakership, I would not be surprised if Hastert loses his seat!
This was Hastert's last term as speaker regardless of how the elections turn out. Hastert was DeLay's guy and DeLay is gone. He always has been somewhat incompetent in comparison to what you would normally expect from a Speaker of the House, but that's what endeared him so much to Tom DeLay. Hastert really is taking one for the GOP by sticking it out - if he can take the heat that long.

This is good for Republicans - really. Fur will fly and you'll see some serious (and some seriously needed) restructuring after this election. It might even be fun to be a Republican again.

BobG said:
This is good for Republicans - really. Fur will fly and you'll see some serious (and some seriously needed) restructuring after this election. It might even be fun to be a Republican again.

I agree this is going to be good for the party in the long run.

<h2>What prompted Foley's resignation from Congress?</h2><p>Foley's resignation from Congress was prompted by the release of sexually explicit messages that he had sent to underage male pages working in the House of Representatives.</p><h2>Was Foley charged with any crimes?</h2><p>No, Foley was not charged with any crimes. However, the House Ethics Committee launched an investigation into his conduct and the Department of Justice conducted an inquiry to determine if any laws were broken.</p><h2>How did the public and other politicians react to Foley's resignation?</h2><p>The public and other politicians reacted with shock and outrage at Foley's behavior and the lack of action by his colleagues and superiors in Congress. Many called for further investigations and stricter measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.</p><h2>What were the consequences for Foley's political career?</h2><p>Foley's resignation effectively ended his political career. He did not seek re-election in the 2006 midterm elections and has not held any public office since then. He also faced public backlash and criticism for his actions.</p><h2>Did Foley apologize for his actions?</h2><p>Yes, Foley publicly apologized for his actions and expressed regret for any harm he may have caused. However, many viewed his apology as insincere and too little, too late.</p>

What prompted Foley's resignation from Congress?

Foley's resignation from Congress was prompted by the release of sexually explicit messages that he had sent to underage male pages working in the House of Representatives.

Was Foley charged with any crimes?

No, Foley was not charged with any crimes. However, the House Ethics Committee launched an investigation into his conduct and the Department of Justice conducted an inquiry to determine if any laws were broken.

How did the public and other politicians react to Foley's resignation?

The public and other politicians reacted with shock and outrage at Foley's behavior and the lack of action by his colleagues and superiors in Congress. Many called for further investigations and stricter measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.

What were the consequences for Foley's political career?

Foley's resignation effectively ended his political career. He did not seek re-election in the 2006 midterm elections and has not held any public office since then. He also faced public backlash and criticism for his actions.

Did Foley apologize for his actions?

Yes, Foley publicly apologized for his actions and expressed regret for any harm he may have caused. However, many viewed his apology as insincere and too little, too late.