Why is it difficult to distinguish between Irish folk music and bluegrass music?

• Music
  • Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: You're welcome. Yeah bluegrass is another genre i enjoy and its definitely got its similarities.Thanks for posting that link! I was listening to that tonight while working on lectures. One of the shows on there finally answered a long time question I had, which was why can't I ever really tell the difference between Irish folk music and bluegrass music. For some goofy reason, it never occurred to me that bluegrass originated from the Scotch/Irish people who settled in the Appalachians.Thanks for posting that link! I was listening to that tonight while working on lectures. One of the shows on there finally answered a long time question I had, which was why can't I ever really tell the difference between Irish
noblegas
I heard a sample of music of what I thought to be irish and celtic music in some commercial for irish beer and liked the music, but I am not familiar with any irish and/or celtic folk musicians; any recommendations

Science news on Phys.org
NPR has a good program called Thistle and Shamrock that would give you a good blend. I'm sure they have it as a podcast.

Probably the most famous Irish folk and rock band is called The Pogues.
This song, Dirty Old Town, is a fairly common one. Their rendition of Waltzing Matilda is also pretty big. Just a warning, the lead singer is not very pretty lol.

There's a band that I have seen referred to as Irish Punk though they are really just upbeat folk called The Mahones. Of course The Pogues often get referred to as punk too.
C_-Hpb0I_bE[/youtube] If you are...nds like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually , I was talking about irish/celtic instrumental music not actually irish/celtic singers;

Yay for Flogging Molly!

noblegas said:
Actually , I was talking about irish/celtic instrumental music not actually irish/celtic singers;
Then you should hie thee to YouTube and look up the Chieftains. Traditional instrumentation and arrangements.

noblegas said:

Oops, well Planxty has some instrumentals I believe. Other than that all that I posted is about all of the irish music I know.

Edit: They don't actually start playing until about two minutes in but this is some instrumental by Planxty, even includes an Irish bagpipe...
fyE3Mye-eks[/youtube]

Last edited:
noblegas said:

Do you know about celtic women? I love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpZgTpM4qM", and also all the group:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fo1nf15bPg

If this is what you looking, you would really like Enya too:

Though Mary Black is better-known for her English-language Irish-themed songs, her band delves into Irish folk, again with traditional instrumentation and arrangements.

http://www.barelyirish.com/" is a Pittsburg Pa based Celtic band that my son is in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZIKSm78k8

http://thistleradio.com/

Here's a link to the aforementioned radio program. I really think you'll like it as far as true irish/scottish folk

Would Celtic Metal count? :biggrin:

Actually, I do recall listening to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evocation_I_-_The_Arcane_Dominion" . Rather melodic and a lot of classical instruments, with very little vocals. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

binzing said:
http://thistleradio.com/

Here's a link to the aforementioned radio program. I really think you'll like it as far as true irish/scottish folk

Thanks for posting that link! I was listening to that tonight while working on lectures. One of the shows on there finally answered a long time question I had, which was why can't I ever really tell the difference between Irish folk music and bluegrass music. For some goofy reason, it never occurred to me that bluegrass originated from the Scotch/Irish people who settled in the Appalachians.

Moonbear said:
Thanks for posting that link! I was listening to that tonight while working on lectures. One of the shows on there finally answered a long time question I had, which was why can't I ever really tell the difference between Irish folk music and bluegrass music. For some goofy reason, it never occurred to me that bluegrass originated from the Scotch/Irish people who settled in the Appalachians.

You're welcome. Yeah bluegrass is another genre i enjoy and its definitely got its similarities.

Moonbear said:
why can't I ever really tell the difference between Irish folk music and bluegrass music. For some goofy reason, it never occurred to me that bluegrass originated from the Scotch/Irish people who settled in the Appalachians.

Yup, well that's one of the influences of bluegrass especially the fiddle tunes & celtic ballads, other equally important influences include blues, gospel, country, English ballads & jazz. Early bluegrass may have only included celtic, blues & gospel singing, but today BG incorporate elements of all that I have mentioned.

1. What is the definition of folk music?

Folk music is a genre of traditional music that originated in the culture and traditions of a particular region or community. It is often passed down orally and reflects the history, values, and beliefs of a group of people.

2. What are some characteristics of folk music?

Folk music is typically performed with acoustic instruments, such as guitar, banjo, or fiddle. It often features simple melodies and lyrics that tell stories or convey emotions. Many folk songs have been adapted and changed over time, making it a dynamic and evolving genre.

3. Who are some famous folk music artists?

Folk music has a long history and many influential artists, including Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Woody Guthrie, and Joni Mitchell. There are also many contemporary folk artists, such as The Avett Brothers, The Lumineers, and Iron & Wine.

4. Are there different types of folk music?

Yes, folk music can vary greatly depending on the region and culture it comes from. Some common types of folk music include Celtic, bluegrass, Americana, and world folk music. Each type has its own unique sound and traditions.

5. How can I find good folk music recommendations?

There are many ways to discover new folk music. You can attend live performances, listen to folk music radio stations or podcasts, explore music streaming platforms, or ask friends and family for recommendations. It's also helpful to research the history and origins of different folk music genres to better understand and appreciate the music.