Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Folktales for kids?

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    I don't know how is it in other countries, but at mine we have stories that are widely known and repeatedly told by parents and adults to children. The folktales I know are probably known all around the world and I was wondering if you guys here at PF could probably share with me some folktales for kids that you may know. Be it European, Japanese, American, Russian or from whatever country. Here are the ones I know:

The Little Red Riding Hood
    The Three Little Pigs

.... Nothing more. Do you know of any other folktales for kids?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2
  4. Feb 7, 2016 #3
    You might want to have a look at this article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Manning-Sanders

I read most of the books in the list as a kid and they are brilliant. Other than maybe finding them at a library I see a number of the books available on Amazon.

5. Feb 7, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As Jack Handy said, "I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye."

6. Feb 7, 2016 #5
    Thank you, both of you. :smile: I am going to have a look onto them. I've been looking for some to read and review those very basic but very truthful teachings that they offer.

EDIT: Keep them coming, I can always spare some time to read. Thanks!

7. Feb 7, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

8. Feb 8, 2016 #7
  9. Feb 14, 2016 #8
    Well, then there are the Astrerix-Obelix series and good old Tintin. Not folktales, but yes, an integral part of my child life.

10. Feb 16, 2016 #9
  11. Feb 16, 2016 #10
    I'll have to take a look at that. :wink:
    Thank you! I like this one from the links you gave me: The Man who never lied

And this one too:
    That saying struck me as so much truth: Moderation protects one from harm. Even if some of you may find it stupid, I feel very wise now. :biggrin: :smile: I will continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. Feb 17, 2016 #11
    Yeah, I'll vote for the Brothers Grimm, too, but their versions of the stories have been rewritten over the decades so good luck finding the originals.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  13. Feb 18, 2016 #12

Svein

Science Advisor

14. Feb 18, 2016 #13
  15. Feb 19, 2016 #14

Svein

Science Advisor

Weird. I clicked on the link and the main page came right up.

16. Feb 19, 2016 #15
    It works now! Thanks! :partytime:

17. Mar 11, 2016 #16
    what about Hansel and Grerttle (english)

18. Mar 11, 2016 #17
    and jack and the beanstalk

19. Mar 11, 2016 #18
    I think that one is on The Brothers Grimm. I've never read it, but it sounds attractive.
    Ohoho, this one. I like it very much. :smile:

20. Mar 12, 2016 #19
    all fairy tales in Grimms have multiple versions

21. Mar 13, 2016 #20
    allso what about the one with the troll under the bridge and the billy goat guffs?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted