Researching Novel Ideas - Forum Discussion

In summary: KazumiIn summary, the conversation discusses a writer's research on the science behind a fictional disease in their novel. It is noted that viruses can survive in the air for different lengths of time and can be spread by fomites. The writer is looking for information on any known viruses that can be spread by fomites.
Kage Kazumi
PForums,

I am a writer working on a novel and as part of my job is to research the science behind any idea, I have to make sure is it plausible in real life. I did some research about three years ago for the novel I am writing and got the opinion from scientist and medical experts in regard to the fictional disease I have created in my novel.

I know that a Virus (remembered from high school) can survive in the air for about 30sec. My question is, are there any known viruses that can be spread by Fomites.

v/respectfully,
Kage Kazumi

Biology news on Phys.org

Kage Kazumi said:
PForums,

I am a writer working on a novel and as part of my job is to research the science behind any idea, I have to make sure is it plausible in real life. I did some research about three years ago for the novel I am writing and got the opinion from scientist and medical experts in regard to the fictional disease I have created in my novel.

I know that a Virus (remembered from high school) can survive in the air for about 30sec. My question is, are there any known viruses that can be spread by Fomites.

v/respectfully,
Kage Kazumi

Note that all viruses are different and whilst some may last only minutes in air others may last a lot longer. As for fomites they definitely can spread viruses, here's a list of http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/73/6/1687/T4" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you.

v/Respectfully,
Kage

1. What is "Researching Novel Ideas - Forum Discussion"?

"Researching Novel Ideas - Forum Discussion" is a platform where scientists and researchers can share and discuss their novel ideas and research findings with others in the scientific community. It allows for open and collaborative discussions to further advance scientific knowledge and innovation.

2. How can I join the "Researching Novel Ideas - Forum Discussion"?

To join the forum, you can simply sign up for an account on the website or platform where it is hosted. Some forums may require approval or verification before allowing new members to participate.

3. Can I share my own research ideas on the forum?

Yes, the forum is open to all scientists and researchers to share their novel ideas and engage in discussions with others. However, it is important to adhere to the forum's guidelines and rules to maintain a respectful and productive environment.

4. Are there any benefits to participating in the "Researching Novel Ideas - Forum Discussion"?

Participating in the forum can provide various benefits such as networking opportunities, receiving feedback and insights from other experts in the field, and staying updated on the latest research developments and trends. It can also help to foster collaborations and partnerships for future research projects.

5. Is the information shared on the forum reliable?

While the forum encourages open discussions and sharing of ideas, it is important to note that not all information shared may be scientifically sound or accurate. It is always best to verify information and sources before incorporating them into your own research or ideas.