Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Font clipping

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

upload_2016-1-30_22-15-22.png

I've lost my tail! My "g" has been truncated to a "q"!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I see it properly. Which browser and OS do you use?

DrGreg.png

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Firefox 43.0.4 Win 8.1
    If I narrow my browser window -- to the point where the yellow banner across the top of the page wraps to two lines -- most of the "tail" reappears, but not quite all of it.

https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/78/78157-1665f58b11bd2b06fd308880d524d40c.jpg [Broken]

I've just tried Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18161 and it shows something similar to the image immediately above this sentence whatever the window width.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jan 31, 2016 #4
    Chrome shows something half way in between. It might be a line height issue.

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I notice this also (given the number of "g"s in my name) on Firefox 43.0.4 on Windows 7.
    firefox.PNG

The issue is still there, but less noticible in Chrome 48.0.2564.97 m
    chrome.PNG

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6
    I'm using Firefox 43.0.4 also, but I do not have this problem. Try the following:

Tools - Options - Content - Advanced
    Put a check mark in: Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections.

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Already checked.

9. Jan 31, 2016 #8
    I don't know what could be causing it, but I've noticed that the font in the posted images is not the same as the font in my browser.

10. Jan 31, 2016 #9
    It could be that your operating system does not have the font that this web page is requesting. If that is the case then your browser would use the next font that is defined in the font family stack which is defined in the CSS file for this web page. In the CSS file it would look something like this:

font-family: “Century Gothic”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

In the case above if your system does not have "Century Gothic" then it would use "Helvetica". If it does not have "Helvetica" then it would use "Arial" etc. To find out what fonts you have on your system, go to c:\windows\fonts. I don't know what the font in question is. Maybe Greg knows.

11. Jan 31, 2016 #10

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After using Firefox's inspection tools on this page, it seems the font in question is "PT Sans Bold" which isn't installed in my system but is being successfully downloaded from a remote site (Google Fonts, I think).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook