Flavors of the Past: Classic Recipes vs. Modern Blasphemy

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Food blasphemy!In summary, people have been creating "updated" versions of classic recipes that usually do not even resemble the original. One example is the "updated" chicken cacciatore that substitutes tofu for the chicken, and the "cheesy breakfast baklava" that contains peach puree instead of chocolate. Change the ingredients in these recipes and you no longer call them by that name. My friend's frozen "meatless chicken and vegetables" dinner is an example of this. There is no chicken in it, but it is still marketed as chicken cacciatore. Another example is the "chocolate mousse" that does not contain chocolate. These "updated" versions are
cyrusabdollahi said:
You can probably thank the food network for that.
I DO!

Corned beef has a unique taste that makes it unmistakeably corned beef, that's why you buy it, you don't buy it and then try to make it NOT taste like corned beef. :bugeye: :eek: :yuck:

It's like buying pastrami and trying to make it taste like fried fish.

THAT'S CRAZY!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo, most people have not had real corned beef. Most people have not had real salt pork or real smoked bacon or salted leeks or fresh (or fermented) apple cider. Most people in this country are so removed from the sources of their food that they wouldn't recognize a beef stomach lining (tripe) or a pig's intestine (large=blood sausage casing, small= regular sausage casing) if they were beaten over the head with them. My wife and I are trying to remove ourselves as much as possible from the commercial crap being sold at the retail level, and get as much meat as we can from local organic farmers, while growing/harvesting as much cultivated/wild food as we can to fill our freezers.

turbo-1 said:
Evo, most people have not had real corned beef. Most people have not had real salt pork or real smoked bacon or salted leeks or fresh (or fermented) apple cider. Most people in this country are so removed from the sources of their food that they wouldn't recognize a beef stomach lining (tripe) or a pig's intestine (large=blood sausage casing, small= regular sausage casing) if they were beaten over the head with them. My wife and I are trying to remove ourselves as much as possible from the commercial crap being sold at the retail level, and get as much meat as we can from local organic farmers, while growing/harvesting as much cultivated/wild food as we can to fill our freezers.
KUDOS to you and your wife!

We really need to preserve traditional recipes and make people realize if it deviates from the traditional, its not the same dish and needs to be renamed. Nothing wrong with creating a new dish, just DON'T bastardize the real deal.

There are cetain cooking terms, like florentine, that means with spinach.

Veronique mean with grapes.

People on these "cooking" shows and websites have no idea of cooking terms or the history of the dish. They have absolutely no idea what the meaning of a dish is.

turbo-1 said:
Evo, most people have not had real corned beef. Most people have not had real salt pork or real smoked bacon or salted leeks or fresh (or fermented) apple cider.

All good stuff. It's been a while since you could go to a farm, hold a cup at the press and get some fresh cider.
Probably illegal now :rolleyes:

Maple syrups a good thing :smile:

It may be worse than you say, I doubt that a lot of people would recognize a cow if they saw one let alone parts of it.

It may indeed be worse. Many people are absolutely clueless. Although most people could see a picture of a cow and think "cow", they are so divorced from reality and caught up in hype that they will willingly pay $$$$$ for inferior cuts of beef. The very best bang for the buck is blade steaks. Yeah, they've got a thin line of gristle down the center, but they are one of the most flavorful cuts of beef available, and CHEAP! Our typical weekend breakfast is rare blade steaks rubbed with salt and black pepper, quick-fried in butter, with a side of crispy fried potatoes (in olive oil) and maybe some toast made from home-made onion-rye bread.

If you haven't tried blade steaks, you're in for a treat. Sliced thin and fried very hot, they are an acceptable substitute for venison. There isn't another cut of beef that comes close, IMO. Another great little secret is to bake big salmon, trout, etc with their heads on. The jaw muscles hiding under the gill flaps are more delectable than sea scallops or lobster. They can trigger good-natured (or not) jostling amongst those who are "in the know".

Evo said:
People on these "cooking" shows and websites have no idea of cooking terms or the history of the dish. They have absolutely no idea what the meaning of a dish is.

Whoa--I've got it! Take the food threads throughout PF history, throw in some science (thermodynamics, bio, chem, etc.) and let's start our own darn cooking show... PysicsForumsPhood is coming: watch out! :devil:

mbrmbrg said:
Whoa--I've got it! Take the food threads throughout PF history, throw in some science (thermodynamics, bio, chem, etc.) and let's start our own darn cooking show... PysicsForumsPhood is coming: watch out! :devil:
Now that would be a great idea! I suggest we start the Geek Channel. We could have woodworking for geeks, masonry for geeks, etc... We would spend a lot of time discussing the project, alternatives to the project, probable outcomes, of course using lots of math and diagrams. Unfortunately each show would run out of time before any actual work could be started. :biggrin:

Already posted: Astronuc and Zapper in the kitchen
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5835/cookies2dm3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back