Healthy Eating Ideas for Dieters

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, Evo says that he is a good cook, but not diet food. He also says that if you want roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, he is fine with that. He also likes to cook, but if he is not feeling well then he eats out.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have just been put on a diet to bring my BMI down, now i am fed up of eating rabbit food, does anyone have some good ideas as to what to eat that is healthy nutritious and tasty.

Physics news on Phys.org
My tip would be learn to cook. (sorry for sounding harsh)

A simple wok can be sooooooo great. Just get it real hot, add some soy sauce, fish sauce or any other kind of salty liquid.
Use some spices (maybe even let them bloom in warm oil) you like. Perhaps a dash of honey to get a nice sticky and sweet effect.

Serve with rice, couscous or anything you like (even with mashed potatoes if you skip on the butter and cream).

Another simple recipe which uses slightly more olive oil is roasted veggies.
Take a bell pepper, onion, carrot. Chop them up not to small, 1 inch is a good size with a thickness of slightly less than 1/2 inch.
Toss them in an oven dish, season with salt, pepper, thyme, ...
Add a little olive oil and gently mix all together. Put in a preheated oven (160-180 Celcius).
Great with white fish.

You should be able to get confidence in cooking and start experimenting with the things you really like.
Also tomato sauce is easy (use canned tomatoes) and yummy with almost everything.

JorisL said:
My tip would be learn to cook. (sorry for sounding harsh)
IIRC, Wolram is a great cook.

Evo said:
IIRC, Wolram is a great cook.

you are correct Evo, i am a good cook, but not diet food, now if you want roast beef and Yorkshire pudding I'm fine with things like that

Basic strategy should be to avoid simple carbohydrates, and stay low on the complex carbs. Lean meats and non-starchy vegetables (so no potatoes, rice etc...) are your best friends. And the hardest part is portion control - reducing your portions so you're not consuming so many calories, of whatever it is you eat.

wolram said:
you are correct Evo, i am a good cook, but not diet food, now if you want roast beef and Yorkshire pudding I'm fine with things like that
OMG, you know I crave roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, My grandmother would make that every Sunday when she was visiting, she lived in Illinois, but would come down to Texas for a few months each year to visit us. She would come by train and she would always pull out a little bag of M&Ms for each of us and give us Indian Head pennies when she'd get off the train. Always good to hand out gifts as soon as you step off of the train. :approve:

Likes Astronuc
Evo said:
OMG, you know I crave roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, My grandmother would make that every Sunday when she was visiting, she lived in Illinois, but would come down to Texas for a few months each year to visit us. She would come by train and she would always pull out a little bag of M&Ms for each of us and give us Indian Head pennies when she'd get off the train. Always good to hand out gifts as soon as you step off of the train. :approve:

You like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding and you like metal detecting, you know what you have to do:biggrin:

wolram said:
You like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding and you like metal detecting, you know what you have to do:biggrin:
I'm on my way!

Depends on what woolie's needs are, and his health problems. It is best not to offer unsolicited medical advice. He asked about low calorie recipes, please stick to low calorie recipes.

I love eating cucumbers with a bit of low fat sour cream, lemon, salt and pepper. Same with celery, peeled of the strings then dipped in the same sour cream, zuchinni, yellow summer squash raw with the same dip, or lightly sauteed in a bit of olive oil seasoned and tossed with couscous is incredible. I grow my own Meyer lemons and they are great on anything. I also love salads, but I don't use oil or salad dressings, just some lemon pepper.

Likes Astronuc and Silicon Waffle
Evo said:
I love eating cucumbers with a bit of low fat sour cream, lemon, salt and pepper. Same with celery, peeled of the strings then dipped in the same sour cream, zuchinni, yellow summer squash raw with the same dip, or lightly sauteed in a bit of olive oil seasoned and tossed with couscous is incredible. I grow my own Meyer lemons and they are great on anything. I also love salads, but I don't use oil or salad dressings, just some lemon pepper.

Sounds good Evo, i am quite fit for my age, i work for a charity 3 days a week humping furniture about and general duties. i can not work full time due to my schizophrenia
but at home i do the donkey work on the garden and i like walking with my GF, so not bad for a 63 ry old:biggrin:

Quinoa is a good rice replacement for anything from Asian/Indian dishes to cold salads (some white beans, avocado, olives, tomatoes, etc).. EDIT : Just checked, while its not really lower calorie than rice you get a lot more fiber and protein per serving.

As it's hot out I'd take a look at cold soup recipes. Usually really low calorie/fat, but still delicious. (like chilled zucchini soup).

Likes Astronuc
Be careful. I do a lot of personal trainer. There are a lot of tradeoffs with each diet, and there is a lot of misinformation.

Honestly, I always tell everyone to learn the basics of the chemistry behind metabolism. Nothing fancy (3 hours of research). Understand why your body is a big glucose factory and how it converts all types of macromolecules (lipids, proteins, and so forth) into glucose or some pathway into making glucose to derive energy (ATP).

Understanding the basics helps you understand how various diets works like sugarbusers, Atkins (understanding the glycemic index is a life saver), split diets where you just look at your macro nutrient intakes (fats, sugars(sugar alcohols, dietary fibers...), and protein intake), carb-cycling, Paleo diet, and so forth. Understanding how a diet works helps you to better manage what foods exactly to chose to succeed in the diet. Furthermore, switching between diets is also very helpful, especially when you're feeling more depleted in energy and of course the other tradeoffs that need to be considered. In addition, you also have to consider if are you going to exercise. If so, research the type of exercising your going to do. If there's one thing I learned about helping others lose weight and get into a shape is that they fail because they don't understand basic dieting and how to exercise correctly. The fastest way to lose weight is a combination of dieting and exercise. Now it's true that you can look at dieting as the intake of calories vs the calories burned and if a caloric deficit exist you will lose weight. However, that's not very helpful because there are a number of pathways to follow. Don't fall into the strict calorie counting because that will lead no where.

Sugarbusters can be very unhealthy long term because depending on how strict your carbohydrate intake is can lead to a surplus of ketone bodies in the blood from high protein metabolism. In addition, your body is busy converting fats to glucose pathways, via beta oxidation, you will feel lathergic, especially if you're active. Personally, Sugarbusters should only be used for short periods of time but if it's supplemented with the Atkins diets can yield decent results.

The bottom line: don't follow anyone's advice until you've researched it. Understand that a diet shouldn't be a short goal to lose weight. This will lead to failure. A diet should be permanent eating habits. Most importantly, different methods work for different people. There's also the psychology that goes into understanding what makes eating habits very successful. For instance, giving yourself "cheat meals" once a week is very helpful in long term goals.

Good luck.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Evo said:
Was that the Texas Chief (operated by ATSF)? I remember going to Union Station, way back when, and watching the trains, including the last runs of several.

Anyway, OT. It's best to have a mix of meat, grains, vegetables and fruit. One could have a salad with small portions of roast beef, chicken or fish, e.g., salmon or tuna, or herring.

Thanks for the advice Czelaya, i will do the research ASAP.

Spaghetti Squash in place of traditional pasta noodles is a favorite of ours. Not so good with cheesy sauces, but marinara, some sausage/turkey, mushrooms, onions and garlic goes well with the sweet flavor of the squash.

Some of my favorite snacks:
  • Fresh fruit mixed with low/non-fat cottage cheese
  • Almonds (raw, no salt) mixed with non-fat Greek1 yogurt and fresh fruit
  • Toasted English muffin with hummus (there are some pretty fantastic flavors available at some places)
1 Be careful with Greek yogurt brands. Some of them come packed with massive amounts of sugar (Dannon).

Every one i want recopies that make the ingredients palatable as well as advice on what to eat .
thanks in advance.

Evo said:
Depends on what woolie's needs are, and his health problems. It is best not to offer unsolicited medical advice. He asked about low calorie recipes, please stick to low calorie recipes.

Wolram's original post was this:
wolram said:
I have just been put on a diet to bring my BMI down, now i am fed up of eating rabbit food, does anyone have some good ideas as to what to eat that is healthy nutritious and tasty.

So, first, I don't see anything here where he is requesting low calorie recipes. Second, he is soliciting advice about good ideas for food that is healthy, nutritious, and tasty.

I'm no doctor or nutritionist, and I advise everyone to do their own research. But I think that the counsel I offered (which apparently has now been censored) would give Wolram the opportunity to eat what is (1) tasty and (2) what is healthy and nutritious. I also think that my counsel to learn how hormones work can only be beneficial.

Wolram, I think if you do your own research, you may be delighted to find that low-fat, low-calorie diets generally don't work in helping people become more fit. I say delighted, because if I am right, the implication is that you get to eat some really tasty foods (including meat and eggs and other healthy fats), while at the same time becoming more fit and enjoying life. But I'm no nutritionist or doctor, so do your own research. But I can tell you - without a doubt - that what I have done the past three years has worked very well for me.

Your advice has been noted EM-Guy.

1. What are some healthy snack options for dieters?

Some healthy snack options for dieters include fruits, vegetables, nuts, and yogurt. These snacks are low in calories and provide essential nutrients to keep you feeling full and satisfied.

2. Can I still eat carbs while on a diet?

Yes, you can still eat carbs while on a diet. It is important to choose complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, legumes, and vegetables, which provide sustained energy and are rich in fiber.

3. How can I make my meals more satisfying without adding too many calories?

You can make your meals more satisfying by incorporating protein, healthy fats, and fiber into your meals. This can be done by adding lean protein sources like chicken, fish, and beans, using healthy oils like olive oil, and including plenty of vegetables and whole grains.

4. Are there any specific foods that can help with weight loss?

While no single food can guarantee weight loss, there are some foods that can aid in weight loss. These include leafy greens, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats like avocados and nuts. It is important to have a balanced and varied diet for sustainable weight loss.

5. How can I stay motivated to maintain a healthy diet?

Staying motivated to maintain a healthy diet can be challenging, but there are some strategies that can help. Setting realistic goals, finding a support system, and focusing on the positive health benefits of a healthy diet can all help with motivation. It is also important to have a balanced and flexible approach to dieting and to allow yourself occasional treats in moderation.