What is the most cost-effective method for making food grade zinc carbonate?

• Thread starter scott123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Zinc
In summary, the individual is seeking a cost-effective method for producing food grade zinc carbonate for a molecular gastronomy recipe. They have considered using soluble forms of zinc, such as sulfate, chloride, and acetate, but these are not within their budget. They have also looked into using zinc oxide and ammonium chloride, but are unsure about the strength of this reaction. They are also unsure if their final design will need to be approved for food safety. Citric acid may be a suitable option for the reaction, but it is unclear if chloride is needed. The individual is advised to avoid using ammonia due to safety concerns.
scott123
I'm looking for the least expensive method for making food grade zinc carbonate (for a molecular gastronomy recipe I'm developing). I know it can be done with the soluble forms of zinc (sulfate, chloride and possibly acetate) by combining them with sodium carbonate (which I have), but the highest purity I can get on sulfate is 99.3 and chloride is 97. Zinc oxide is relatively cheap, but the acids that will take me to either chloride or sulfate are way out of my price range. I use food grade citric acid as a component in my DIY dishwashing powder, but I don't see citric getting me anywhere in this quest. Vinegar and zinc seems like an especially weak reaction, and, when you get into pure acetic, it's just too much money.

Zinc oxide and ammonium chloride, from small amount of research I've done, seems to get me to zinc chloride (and ammonia), and high purity ammonium chloride is relatively affordable, but I haven't come across a lot of information on this reaction. Is this is a strong reaction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
scott123 said:
I'm looking for the least expensive method for making food grade zinc carbonate (for a molecular gastronomy recipe I'm developing). I know it can be done with the soluble forms of zinc (sulfate, chloride and possibly acetate) by combining them with sodium carbonate (which I have), but the highest purity I can get on sulfate is 99.3 and chloride is 97. Zinc oxide is relatively cheap, but the acids that will take me to either chloride or sulfate are way out of my price range. I use food grade citric acid as a component in my DIY dishwashing powder, but I don't see citric getting me anywhere in this quest. Vinegar and zinc seems like an especially weak reaction, and, when you get into pure acetic, it's just too much money.

Zinc oxide and ammonium chloride, from small amount of research I've done, seems to get me to zinc chloride (and ammonia), and high purity ammonium chloride is relatively affordable, but I haven't come across a lot of information on this reaction. Is this is a strong reaction?

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm of no help on your chemistry questions, unfortunately, but I am curious about one thing. When you mention "food grade" metal containers, do you need to get your final design approved for food safety somewhere? Is it like electrical safety certifications for designs?

I can't really help you for the first part since I don't know about Zinc Carbonate, but I can tell if you need a food-grade acid Citric Acid should do since it has a quit low pH, maybe the reaction need Chloride in solution so just add salt to see if it's the case.
scott123 said:
Avoid ammonia as much as you can it is a really dangerous reagent, you need ventilation when manipulating it and it doesn't have anything to do with gastronomy.

1. What is "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate"?

"Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" is a type of zinc supplement that is safe for consumption in food products. It is a white, odorless powder that is derived from zinc carbonate mineral sources.

2. What are the benefits of using "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" in food products?

"Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" is often used as a nutrient supplement in food products because it is a good source of zinc, which is an essential mineral for the human body. Zinc helps support immune function, wound healing, and healthy growth and development.

3. Is "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" safe for consumption?

Yes, "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" is considered safe for consumption in food products. It is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in food products and has been deemed safe for human consumption by the World Health Organization (WHO).

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with consuming "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate"?

In normal amounts, "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" is generally considered safe for consumption. However, excessive intake of zinc can lead to adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is important to follow recommended dosage guidelines and consult a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.

5. Can "Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" be used in all types of food products?

"Food Grade Zinc Carbonate" is generally safe for use in a variety of food products, including supplements, beverages, and baked goods. However, it is always important to check with the specific regulations and guidelines in your country or region before using it in food products.