Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food Ingredients

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    I was wondering why food makers add these ingredients into the food they make:pentanatrium triphosphate, blue vitriol, pentahydrate, manganese sulfate, monohydrate, potassium iodide, zinc sulfate?
    Anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2
    Some of the names you have types are nonsense, and refer to hydrated states, not actual compounds. You may want to read up on "Hydrates".
    The only two I know are used in food are KI and zinc sulphate, due to their ability to provide small nutritional value at low concentrations.
    Blue Vitriol is a fungicide, but I have never heard of it being used in food manufacturing...

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    Pentranatrium triphosphate (aka Pentasodium triphosphate) is a sequestrant and texturizer. It binds with metal ions in order to prevent oxidation. A texturizer is like a thickener and as the name implies, it only there to modify the texture (although pentasodium triphosphate may serve both purposes at once).

http://www.fao.org/ag/agn/jecfa-additives/specs/Monograph1/Additive-308.pdf

5. Apr 7, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is used as a component of meat preservative to retain moisture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook