Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food irradiation

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    Hey ,

My classmates and I were asked to give a presntatoin about "food irradiation" and I'm the one who 's responsible about shielding calculations. I want to show that 6 m (19.69 ft) of water is enough to shield gamma source so that the exposure dose for workers doesn't exceed the maximum permissible dose(MPD) . For solving this I need to know :

1-The average total activity of gamma source array in curie.
    2- The diminsion of the of gamma source array.

Hopefully someone can help me to get these parameters.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2
    It depends on the type of irradiation machine. Some use Co-60, some use Cs-137, and others use electron beams. Not my specialty, but I imagine the activities of a Co-60 machine varies from machine to machine depending on what is being irradiated.

4. May 7, 2007 #3
    I'd like to know these prameters for Co-60 facility

5. May 9, 2007 #4
    If you can get your hands on a copy of John Lamarsh's book Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, you'll find all the basic information and formulas you need in a very easy format.

6. May 9, 2007 #5
    Actually I have this book ,but unfortunately there's nothing about food irradiation in this book

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?