Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food Network

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This channel cracks me up.

Could they possibly have more people hosting cooking shows that have no background in cooking? :rofl:

Bobby Flay, high school drop out that is dating the producer's daughter. This classless idiot has no place in the cooking world.

Emeril Lagasee. As his former boss at the New Orleans restaurant warned the new restaurant up north he escaped to (since it appeard, IMHO, that his lack of food knowledge and cooking skills were ending his career) that Emeril can't cook, but he loves to shmooze.

Rachel Ray, you've got to be kidding. I'd love to see her prepare a consommé, much less explain what it is. :rofl:

Most of the "food personalities" have no culinary education, have no idea what they're doing, their scripts are handed to them and they plow through what their kitchen assistants have placed on the set along with teleprompters telling them what to do and say. Put in a real kitchen with no assistants or scripts, these people couldn't boil an egg.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The thing that annoys me about Rachel Ray is that she constantly takes words with three syllables and drops one, making a non-existant two syllable word. It's very annoying! Delicious--->Delis, etc.

I also don't think she could prepare a "consom," either.:biggrin:

4. Dec 24, 2007 #3

Evo

:rofl: What ever happened to the PBS shows with people that actualy knew how to cook? People are growing up with no clue how to get around in a kitchen and why certain things are necessary and as a result how and why you can and cannot make certain substitutions. They don't understand the basic science behind cooking, and yes, cooking IS science. Do you know why key lime pie isn't a slimy liquid?

:frown:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  5. Dec 24, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My friends have a roommate that doesn't understand why people have recipes. He thinks he can just mix anything together and have it taste good. For instance, he made pasta once and said stuff such as, "OK now some onion powder. Oh yeah I'll toss a little wine into the sauce. Awesome, now a couple of tablespoons of cajun seasoning. This is going to be some great pasta sauce!":yuck:

6. Dec 24, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I hate to say it, but Bobby Flay has had his own, very well to do restaurants. I can't stand the guy, but he has the chops to have his own show. Plus he married the hot ADA from Law and Order SVU. Look up his bio on wiki.

7. Dec 24, 2007 #6
    You should merge this thread with my thread. I did mention Rachel Ray and said she should work at McDonalds. Heres to cooking with Lidia on PBS!

I remember one episode she was lobster fishing on her boat in the mediterranean with her family. She says, if you dont like kiling things then dont cook lobster. She then smashes its head with a mallet and boils it in a pot. :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  8. Dec 24, 2007 #7
    Cyrus, to comment your pic, I must use the words of Borat. "High Five!"

9. Dec 25, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

One (sometimes) exception is Alton Brown's show. He does explain the science behind cooking, including how brining can transfer water to meats, how to make cookies chewy vs crunchy, etc. If you can get past the hamming and silliness, his shows often have some handy information.

As for the rest of them, I wonder what they could do in a real kitchen with available ingredients. I'd love to have Bobby Flay show up at my door for a "Throwdown" cook-off to prepare hot sauces to see if he's got any chops. Yeah, he's got a line of hot sauces, but regardless of whose name is on the label, I've never found any commercially-produced sauces that could come close to mine in quality (not just heat). There are a lot of compromises that have to be considered in commercial production, and I doubt that Flay has much of a hand in that, aside from go/no-go assessments of the products.

Owning a chain of restaurants says little about his ability to cook, though. He may make executive decisions about what to add to the menu or delete, and what suppliers to use for meats, vegetable, spices, etc, (though, really, that should be the decision of his restaurant managers who can monitor the suppliers day-by-day) and he may pop in to see what's going on from time to time, but he's not doing the cooking in those restaurants. If you pay attention, it's pretty hard to screw up a steak-house type restaurant.

10. Dec 26, 2007 #9
    wha? ok Emeril and Ray are obvious hacks, but Bobby can cook. I've watched many Iron Chef episodes with him and he usually makes and presents some very tempting dishs. He nearly always wins too. His restaurants may not be quality and he might be an ass, but he personally knows his way around food and a kitchen.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  11. Dec 26, 2007 #10

Evo

Ok, maybe he can cook, but Morimoto had a conniption when he stood on the cutting board at the end of the Iron Chef challenge.

The question that came up at another food forum is if Flay can cook anything that doesn't have blue corn in it. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  12. Dec 26, 2007 #11
    Yeah I remember that and I agree it was very classless. However, I still think he is head and shoulders above Emeril and Ray. Maybe that doesn't say much :)

I like anthony bourdain though. I love his shows and books!

13. Dec 26, 2007 #12

Evo

I just wish the Japanese Iron Chef hadn't ended, that was some incredible cooking.

14. Dec 26, 2007 #13

Evo

I love him. I've just found that guy that has the show on bizarre food, but all he does is eat.

15. Dec 26, 2007 #14
    Yeah andrew is great too, very interesting show. Nothing like watching someone eat pig brains with side of salmon ice cream! I tivo it.

16. Dec 26, 2007 #15
    That show was amazing, and it was class all the way. The Amuri-kan version has some Japanese guy that does Karate...I somehow find that really offensive, and Im not even Japanese. They dont open their eyes wide and round and say 'hi america' on the Japanese version.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...50&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

quite different from the US version: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...50&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

:yuck:

17. Dec 26, 2007 #16
    Giada de Laurentiis, Laura Calder, Anthony Sedlak, Rob Rainford? When Rainford talks about what he's cooking he sounds like Tim Allen talking about tools on Home Improvement, except Home Improvement is supposed to be funny. Sedlak has his cooking show because he won a Food Network contest. It was all about image & personality & being telegenic. They all probably do know a thing or two about cooking (literally) but I would say being telegenic is at least as important. I think I've picked up the formula so maybe I could even have a cooking show. First they make up a theme or anecdote (friends just coming over straight from the gym, hosting some local volunteer firefighters, dishes using nuts & chocolate, etc). Of course 20mins cooking only 3 dishes is hardly enough to cover anything thoroughly & for anyone to learn anything from. It sure isn't a substitute for working through a quality book (not Company's Coming, for example). Anyway they get a recipe (probably) out of a book, make it, tell the viewers how tasty it looks as it's cooking, tell stories about cooking with grandma, then when it's done take 1 bite & enthusiastically tell the viewer how delicious it is, regardless of how it looks or tastes. If someone can do that well enough they can have a cooking show like these other "celebrity chefs", that's about all there is to a cooking show as far as I can tell. As the closing credits roll, the guests tell the host how delicious it is also, in case people were skeptical earlier.

& what about Giada's Weekend Getaways or Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels? I don't know what those shows are even doing on the Food Network. If there were a travel network that's where they would belong. I don't know what I'm suppoosed to get out of watching someone eat on tv; those ones are even more pointless than the ones where people cook something. (Giada is really good lookin though :!!) )

I like the Iron Chefs (original & America) & Throwdown! w/Bobby Flay because they have people who are actually good at what they do, and it's usually worth stealing ideas from them. I also like Heston Blumenthal's In Search for Perfection, since he's actually a chef & his show is all about using molecular gastronomy to perfect 'ordinary' dishes (fish & chips, steak, pizza, etc). Not all the things he does could be done at home but it's still interesting to see what the secret is to perfect fish & chips, for example. The secret is frothy batter almost like whipped cream that has lots of bubbles & structure to make it crispy when it cooks. That's why beer is used but Blumenthal went farther & used a CO2 canister & sprayed his batter into a bowl before dunking the turbot or whatever it was. Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares is good too.

18. Dec 27, 2007 #17

Evo

You're making me cry cyrus.

19. Dec 27, 2007 #18
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. Dec 28, 2007 #19

Hey look, its bobby flay standing on a cutting board screaming like an idiot. The Iron Chef TORE into him HAHAHAHA. Look at flay all mad he lost, wa wa waa...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. Dec 28, 2007 #20

Evo

I can't even watch the American version, it's nowhere near the class show that the original Japanese was, they shouldn't be allowed to use the name, IMO. It has none of the appeal of the original.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?