Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food phobias

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was watching a tv show about adults with serious food phobias. They actually would have panic attacks thinking about these foods.

One guy would eat nothing except bread, cheese, (think grilled cheese) and over cooked french fries. He couldn't even go to restaurants.

Another woman would only eat bread and peanut butter.

I know people that won't eat bread or peanut butter because it sticks to the roof of their mouth and it scares them.

Do you have any food related phobias? Is there something you are afraid of eating because of texture or taste or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2009 #2
    Monkey brains maybe?
    BTW I now avoid French restaurants because I have had a painful experience with them in San Francisco. After the 3 dishes (goose pate, salad, cheeses), I nearly wanted to throw up. Luckily, the dessert was good. But now I will only go to Italian restaurants, just in case...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. Jan 3, 2009 #3
    i remember seeing a guy on tv once that ate nothing but oscar meyer hotdogs and buns. i don't remember it being described as a phobia, but allergies don't seem logical. but he was a reasonably fit and healthy man, otherwise, and did a hundred pushups every day.

5. Jan 3, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, well the "jogging guru" Jim Fixx thought he was healthy until he keeled over dead due to clogged arteries.

6. Jan 3, 2009 #5
    When I was 8 I bit into a strawberry, only to find half of an ant left in the strawberry. To this day I can only eat strawberries if there are zero openings.

This next one really isn't a food phobia. I used to love burgers, until I felt sick after eating one. After that I wasn't able to eat burgers, and now whenever I force myself to eat one, they just taste bad.

7. Jan 3, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My niece had a baby with a lot of birth defects. His first six months were spent with tubes down his throat.

He recovered, but would absolutely refuse to eat, or put anything near his mouth. He would gag, even thinking about swallowing something.

It took years and years of specialized therapy, but finally he eats like a normal kid. I don't know if this counts as a phobia, though.

8. Jan 3, 2009 #7
    at least he died healthy.

9. Jan 3, 2009 #8
    i had the same problem after getting dry heaves drinking rum

10. Jan 3, 2009 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't like small things and most seafood. The small things could be described as a phobia, the seafood thing probably isn't, it just tastes bad.

There was a similar show in the UK about a year ago called Freaky Eaters where there was one guy that just ate cheese pizza and crisps etc. Its odd how somebody could get to that stage since they seem like normal people otherwise.

11. Jan 3, 2009 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I once dated a woman who refused to eat anything round. Cylinders depended on the aspect ratio: a string bean was okay, a scallop was not.

12. Jan 3, 2009 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to get dreams about smoothenss where all you could see was a big fluid plane that seemed to be changing shape and when it was perfectly smooth it was pleasing but I used to feel anxious when it became rough. It wasn't exactly rough either. It was still smooth but the global structure made it seem rough and spiky and I think it was the combination of a smooth surface in a rough shape that was the problem. Because the surface was fluid though it kept getting rough then smoothing out and there was a definite point where there was a transition from it being ok to being really bad. I sometimes used to associate the same feelings with food but I can't remember what food exactly.

The explanation is bad but its really hard to describe.

13. Jan 3, 2009 #12
    I can not get myself to bite into a piece of blue cheese. Something about how it feels on my teeth..its just yuccky.

14. Jan 3, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsu and I have this sort of symbiotic phobia going: She has panic attack when I eat beans.

Dunno... it's very strange.

15. Jan 3, 2009 #14
    LOL Ivan.

16. Jan 4, 2009 #15
    You people are nuts.

17. Jan 4, 2009 #16
    Once I ate at a 4 star restaurant and it was quite off-putting to see a customer drinking red wine with fish. Since then I have stuck with 5 star restaurants.

18. Jan 4, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm confused. You only like to put large things in your mouth? Like, you won't eat a piece of a potato but you will happily stuff an entire spud into your maw? What's the threshold?

19. Jan 4, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I won't eat Brussels Sprouts.

But that's not a phobia, that's just good thinkin'.

20. Jan 4, 2009 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mint & Chocolate, terrible combination! It is the only thing I find disgusting to eat.

As for phobias, I'm not a fan of dissecting a carcass for food. I once was given a whole chicken (the ones that go into the oven). If I had had a pair of gloves I might have been able to prepare it, but touching a carcass with my bare hands just freaked me out. I gave it away.

21. Jan 4, 2009 #20
    While I generally regard myself as an adventurous eater, I think my limit would be drawn at bats, particularly when the hair is still on :yuck::
    [​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?