Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foods make me drowsy why?

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    how come when i eat some foods, like turkey or greasy stuffs, i feel really drowsy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because you are eating too much. It takes energy to digest food. If you eat too much, especially of things that are hard to digest (grease in particular), your body will channel energy to the stomach. Animals that eat seldom but a lot at one time (boa constrictor, lion, etc.) typically sleep while digesting.

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Turkey contains an amino acid L-tryptophan that can make you sleepy. (there was a great tv commercial last year about turkey putting people to sleep)

Anyway, it seems it may not be a major culprit. Thanks to google, here is "everything you wanted to know about turkey, but were afraid to ask".

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/turkey_sleepy.html

5. Aug 23, 2004 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

oh, turkey, I misread the title of the thread and thought it said
    "fools make me drowsy"
    I guess I already am drowsy and had better trundle.

6. Aug 23, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am often on these forums way, way too late.

7. Aug 23, 2004 #6
    Greasy food quite literally bogs me down. There is a tangible difference I feel before and after.

8. Aug 23, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is also why you shouldn't swim right after a meal. Blood circulation changes, where the circulation increases to the organs involved in digestion.

9. Aug 23, 2004 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you happen to have low blood pressure, the concentration of blood in the digestion process can make you light headed and woozy after meals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?