Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foot contact time.

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    Does anyone have resources for how long a foot is in contact with a football. Numbers I have found, but video or set of pictures with time on it would help.

Please and thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2
    Actually real contact time can only be given by the theory of elasticity.
  4. Oct 31, 2006 #3
    Well I was punter in high school, and I'm guessing it's around a fourth of a second during a punt. But that's just a guess.
  5. Nov 4, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

I remember seeing a set of photos of a field goal kicker. It showed the foot compressing into the football to about the center of the football (about 1/2 it's diameter). I can't find the site, and I don't know the duration of this.
  6. Nov 4, 2006 #5
    All I could figure out about it is that the football will contact in a punt less than in a field goal. But I am pretty sure for a punt it would have to be between a quarter of a second and a half a second, any more than that and the football will not pop up into the air and it would take more energy to get it in the air.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?