1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Football helmet

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am looking for safety features in the design of a football helmet that can be explained using physics terms. for instance, kinetic motion, etc...

2. The attempt at a solution

The different designs of cages on football helmets. Also, how the padding on the inside works to spread out the force onto a greater surface area.

Thank you for your help with my problem :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2
    well, paul.

to begin answering your question, i would have to know which kind of helmet you are using. so if you can help me out with that, i can get right on answering your question

4. Jan 2, 2008 #3
    on question 1, are you just looking for explanations on how a football helmet works?

such as the regidity (sp) of the outer casing of the helmet spreading the force of impact over a larger surface area, reducing the damage to a given area.
    Or, the padding on the inside of the helmet absorbes some of the energy of an impact, which would otherwise be turned into kenetic energy transfered to a skull. this lowers the accelerations felt by the brain during an impact, and therefore lowers the risk of concussion.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  5. Jan 2, 2008 #4
    Thank you very much. I am looking for ways to explain how a football helmet works to keep the user safe using physics terms.

6. Jan 2, 2008 #5
    i think it is clear kathy that the helmet in which i am referring to is a football helmet. I thought it was obvious since it was in the thread title. Maybe you should read before you post; you're such a noob.

7. Jan 2, 2008 #6
    lol paul, i did you a favour - i put your post up again.. otherwise noone would have seen it..

instead of calling me unfriendly names you should be thanking me

8. Jan 2, 2008 #7
    you're right kathy. you're the greatest physics buddy i've ever had :D!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?