Football helmet

• Thread starter qotsa17
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am looking for safety features in the design of a football helmet that can be explained using physics terms. for instance, kinetic motion, etc...

2. The attempt at a solution

The different designs of cages on football helmets. Also, how the padding on the inside works to spread out the force onto a greater surface area.

Thank you for your help with my problem :D

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

I am looking for safety features in the design of a football helmet that can be explained using physics terms. for instance, kinetic motion, etc...

2. The attempt at a solution

The different designs of cages on football helmets. Also, how the padding on the inside works to spread out the force onto a greater surface area.

Thank you for your help with my problem :D

well, paul.

to begin answering your question, i would have to know which kind of helmet you are using. so if you can help me out with that, i can get right on answering your question

on question 1, are you just looking for explanations on how a football helmet works?

such as the regidity (sp) of the outer casing of the helmet spreading the force of impact over a larger surface area, reducing the damage to a given area.
Or, the padding on the inside of the helmet absorbes some of the energy of an impact, which would otherwise be turned into kenetic energy transfered to a skull. this lowers the accelerations felt by the brain during an impact, and therefore lowers the risk of concussion.

Last edited:
on question 1, are you just looking for explanations on how a football helmet works?

such as the regidity (sp) of the outer casing of the helmet spreading the force of impact over a larger surface area, reducing the damage to a given area.
Or, the padding on the inside of the helmet absorbes some of the energy of an impact, which would otherwise be turned into kenetic energy transfered to a skull. this lowers the accelerations felt by the brain during an impact, and therefore lowers the risk of concussion.

Thank you very much. I am looking for ways to explain how a football helmet works to keep the user safe using physics terms.

well, paul.

to begin answering your question, i would have to know which kind of helmet you are using. so if you can help me out with that, i can get right on answering your question

i think it is clear kathy that the helmet in which i am referring to is a football helmet. I thought it was obvious since it was in the thread title. Maybe you should read before you post; you're such a noob.

i think it is clear kathy that the helmet in which i am referring to is a football helmet. I thought it was obvious since it was in the thread title. Maybe you should read before you post; you're such a noob.

lol paul, i did you a favour - i put your post up again.. otherwise noone would have seen it..

instead of calling me unfriendly names you should be thanking me

you're right kathy. you're the greatest physics buddy i've ever had :D!