1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FootBall Players

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Fred (mass 60.0kg) is running with the football at a speed of 6.0m/s when he is met head-on by Brutus (mass 120kg), who is moving at 4.0m/s. Brutus grabs Fred in a tight grip, and they fall to the ground. How far do they slide?
    Part A
    The coefficient of kinetic friction between football uniforms and Astroturf is 0.3.
    Give answer in cm

2. Relevant equations

MfVf + MbVb=(Mf+Mb)Vs

Ax=-mew x g

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the problem and doubled check my work and even had a friend check it and we couldn't find a mistake but I still get it wrong

To find the velocity after the collision I used the conservation of momentum equation above and calculated the "after impact) velocity to be -2/3 m/s. I then proceeded to find the acceleration and used Ax=-mew x g and got -2.94 m/s^2. From there I solved for time by plugging the velocity and acceleration into Vfx=Vix+Ax(delta T). I got the time for
    the slide to be .22 seconds. I then plugged everything into the distance kinematics equation Xf=...and I got .075 m which I then converted to 7.55 cm, but it still says its wrong. Do you see any mistakes I made?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Is "it" that says the answer wrong a computer problem-system? If so, what units does it ask for the answer in? (Possibly #1 reason why the result of a correct method is rejected...) BTW, I agree with your solution (I used the "velocity-squared" equation,
    (v_f)^2 = (v_i)^2 + 2a(delta_x), and found the same distance).
  4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    It wants it in cm. I don't get why it says I am wrong.
  5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Not being there myself to see what the computer is doing, I can only be mystified. If you're sure you've used the right quantities for the problem, your method should give the correct answer.

It is conceivable that the computer system has a difficulty for this problem. The formula encoded for its calculation could be in error, or the tolerance for input answers might have been set to zero. (This happened once a ways back in a physics course here for one problem: good luck getting the computer's answer to sixteen decimal places...)

I would bring this up with the instructor and see if there is something set up wrong for that problem. It's not like that's never happened before. (Besides, I'm feeling cocky: I helped a student last week to get the instructor in a 5000-level stats course to re-examine their solution to an exam problem and find the error in the problem statement... ;-) )
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    I talked to my teacher about it and he came to the same answer when he did it. I did show answer on the website and they calculated 8.8 cm. I don't know how they got that :confused: He sent an e-mail to the website tech support to notify them of the error.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  7. Mar 5, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

I'm glad to hear the teacher agreed with us also! :) These difficulties do crop up from time to time with the computer-based systems; they aren't going to replace living instructors anytime soon...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?