Football, time in air/distance

• Thread starter Neliel06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
Range = V_0^2*sin(2*theta)/gIn summary, to get the maximum range when kicking a football at a 45 degree angle with an initial speed of 20 m/s, you can use the equations Time of flight = 2V_0*sin(theta)/g and Range = V_0^2*sin(2*theta)/g. Using these equations, the time of flight is 1.5 seconds and the range is 40.8 meters.
Neliel06

Homework Statement

To get the maximum range, a football kicker kicks a football (at ground level) at an angle of 45degrees. The initial speed of the football is 20 m/s.

a. How long is the football in the air?
b. How far up-field does the football hit the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well originally i thought, i must use X=Xo+1/2(V+Vo)t
to get the time, but that requires X, which is also asked for and not given.
So then i tried getting X. So i used Rmax= Vo^2/g
20/9.8=40.8m
And i also needed V. so i used V^2=V0^2+2a(X-X0)
and got V=34.6 m/s

I plugged those in as X and V and got time=1.5 seconds

However, i only got partial credit, so i don't know where i went wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Time of flight = 2V_0*sin(theta)/g

I would like to clarify that there are a few assumptions made in this problem. First, it assumes that air resistance is negligible and that the football is kicked on a level surface. Additionally, it does not specify the mass of the football, which could affect the calculations.

To answer the first question, we can use the equation t = 2Vsinθ/g, where V is the initial velocity (20 m/s) and θ is the angle of the kick (45 degrees). Plugging in these values, we get t = 1.4 seconds.

For the second question, we can use the equation R = V^2sin2θ/g, where R is the range of the football. Plugging in the same values as before, we get R = 40.8 meters.

It is possible that the incorrect answer was due to a rounding error or an incorrect application of the equations. It is important to double check all calculations and make sure the correct units are used. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide a clear explanation of the steps taken to solve the problem.

1. How is the time in air of a football measured?

The time in air of a football is typically measured using a high-speed camera that captures the trajectory of the ball. The frame-by-frame analysis allows for accurate measurement of the time the ball spends in the air.

2. Does the time in air affect the distance a football travels?

Yes, the time in air directly affects the distance a football travels. The longer the ball is in the air, the further it can travel due to the force of gravity pulling it down and the ball's initial velocity.

3. Is the time in air of a football affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, wind, and air density can affect the time in air of a football. These factors can cause the ball to deviate from its intended trajectory and affect the time it spends in the air.

4. Can the time in air of a football be used to determine its speed?

No, the time in air alone cannot be used to determine the speed of a football. Other factors such as the initial velocity, angle of release, and external factors must also be taken into account to accurately calculate the speed of the ball.

5. How does the time in air of a football vary for different types of kicks?

The time in air of a football can vary for different types of kicks, such as a punt, a kickoff, or a field goal. The technique and force used in each kick can affect the ball's trajectory and therefore the time it spends in the air.