Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For Aircraft nuts : Vampire pics added

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I made a trip to McMinnville Or. to the Evergreen Aircraft Museum. Thought I'd share some pics.

Replicas of the Wright Flyer and the first Curtis plane.
    [​IMG]

The Spruce Goose. It is simply to big to get into a single image. (I need a wide angle lens!)
    [​IMG]

DC3 plus more parked under the wing of the Spruce Goose.
    [​IMG]

Spruce Goose
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Inside the Spruce Goose
    [​IMG]
    Replica Sopwith Camel and a Spruce Goose engine
    [​IMG]

More of the Camel
    [​IMG]

General Shot Inside the Museum.
    [​IMG]

From the Spruce Goose looking toward the front of the museum. Spruce Goose wing overhead DC3 below.
    [​IMG]

P38
    [​IMG]

WWII era German Me109
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool, I've been wanting to get over there. In fact I was thinking that you and I could do that! :grumpy: Its such a fluke that after never going to see it all those years that it was in Long Beach, the Spruce Goose followed me up to Oregon. When they announced that it was leaving LB I thought that I'd never get the chance again to see it.

4. Jun 10, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am ready for a return trip. Let me know when!

The S.G. Is just way bigger then I imagined, even knowing that it is one of the biggest planes ever built. Lots of other interesting stuff there as well.

5. Jun 10, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay great! I don't think Tsu really wants to go. And my old aviation buddy has left area. The frustating part is that used to go to Newberg about once a week; right until about the time that the exhibit opened.

6. Jun 10, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Spruce Goose

[​IMG]

Have you been to the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum?

7. Jun 10, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is the place. It was a bright day out, so I did not see that view. That is one big plane!

No, I have never been to DC. I would love to have a few weeks to go through the Smithsonian!

That

8. Jun 10, 2005 #7

Evo

Yes, it's huge!!!!

Oooh, let's all go!!!! I was just telling the child of Evo we needed to go there. I love the museums. That whole area is so much fun to walk around, and the squirrels are tame. :tongue:

Plus there are some great seafood restaurants on the bay, which for me,living in the midwest, is something I miss so much!!! :frown:

9. Jun 10, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Those are great pics. I liked seeing the Vampire parked under the Spruce Goose. I saw it when it used to be parked in Long Beach, CA. What an impressive aircraft.

10. Jun 10, 2005 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like they've added a few aircraft since I was there last about 4 yrs ago.

some photos from my trip.

[​IMG]
    The Goose with an old passenger airliner parked under its wing.

[​IMG]
    A Vought Corsair.

[​IMG]
    A longer shot of the Lockheed P-38 lightning

When I was there they also had a TBF-1 Avenger (WII torpedo bomber) AKA the "Pregnant Turkey"

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  11. Jun 10, 2005 #10

Evo

Seeing the other planes with the Spruce Goose really makes you aware of the size of that thing. Hard to believe it got off the ground.

12. Jun 10, 2005 #11
    Isn't it amazing? I'd enjoy seeing this museum.
    My local WW2 airplane museum lost 90% of there collection in a fire{Yankee Air Museum}, but donations are coming in from around the world, hopefully they will get up and running again soon.

13. Jun 10, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It didn't.

14. Jun 11, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I was a bit pissed off that somebody beat me to mentioning the wee Vamp, until I saw who it was. Good eye, mate.

Int, old bean, you do certainly know how to get a pilot's attention! I just wish that my monitor was big enough to take it all in at once. And thanks to Janus for the P-38. I love those things.

So how much do they pay those guys to sit there like dummies pretending to fly the old birds and hang-gliders?

15. Jun 11, 2005 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it didn't get off the ground... It got off the water!

16. Jun 11, 2005 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll get a better shot of the Vamp when Ivan and I make the trip. I was digitally challenged this time so was pretty limited at what I could shoot.

I was amazed at just how big the Avenger was, Have always understood that they were pretty much a turkey, now I know why.

Janus,
    I did not see the Tri motor, it just so happens that a coworker was there the day before I was. He said he saw the Tri motor take off. So it must be out some where.

They also have a SR71 parked under the Goose, I had family in all my shots of it so choose not to post them.

17. Jun 11, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And here I was almost ashamed of such a cheap ploy!

18. Jun 11, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not fanatical about Vamps; I just rather expected that I'd be the only one to recognize it. Figures that the only Yank who ever heard of the Arrow beat me to it. (Although I consider him Canuk by virtue of lineage.)
    As for the Blackbird... I don't suppose that they had the decency to provide the one with the linear aerospike test platform?

19. Jun 11, 2005 #18

russ_watters

I went to the new annex last year. I have some pics on my desktop that I'll post when I get home...

They have an SR-71, the starship -er shuttle Enterprise, a Concorde, etc.

20. Jun 11, 2005 #19
    Evo: if you like sci-fi, you might want to read Larry Niven's and Steven Barnes' Dream Park. It has the Spruce Goose in it.

21. Jun 11, 2005 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?