Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For All Who Shave: HOLY GRAIL!

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    I was perusing the "beard and shaving" thread, and I tried one of the products mentioned: Mitchell's Wool Fat. I've used a LOT of shaving creams, and a few soaps, but this simple tallow and lanolin formulation from merry old England has given the smoothest, and easiest shave of my life.

I'm half Greek, so this is a big deal to me. :biggrin:

Anyway, if you don't have a badger-bristle brush, and some sweet sweet Wool Fat (classy name, right? :wink:) you are cheating your face.

Closest shave of my life, with one pass, period and my face is so... soft. I should add, this soap does go for about 30 bucks a puck (60 or so with the dish), but that lasts FOREVER, and given the price of canned creams and gels it's worth it. A decent brush shouldn't set you back more than 30-50 USD. This is an investment in your face, and comfort...

Did I mention that it smells lovely as well? Anyway, obviously if you're vegan, this is not for you, but otherwise give this sucker a try!

I am not endorsing this beyond my personal experience, but I can see how this has survived since 1893!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure about the smell? I don't associate tallow and lanolin with "lovely".

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    Tell me about it, I've had the joy of grooming raw wool so I know what you mean. This has a very mild perfume, and no "musky animal" smell at all. Technically this is Tallowate, which is processed Tallow with alkalai, thus killing any odor. You can imagine how nice the lanolin is on the face however, quite soothing. I'm not a fan of perfumed soaps in general, but stinky isn't my bag either. This is FAR less perfumed that anything coming out of a can, and there is no nasty aroma.

The package does say, "No animal suffered in the making of this product" however this is a product of the UK, and I don't know what laws apply to labeling there. It's tallow, so I assume they don't mean no animal died. No testing, at least, is one up on Gillette.

5. May 11, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. May 11, 2010 #5
    *baffled* I have no idea... but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that association! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  7. May 11, 2010 #6
    lanolin has hardly any smell to me. La Lueur Oil and Lanolin Hydrous are my two favorite emollients.

8. May 11, 2010 #7

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is it actually, and at a much better price than Amazon...

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.p..._id=64&zenid=c77112befc2252be3f6bed22ed23942f

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65

I have noticed a lot of people using this lately but I missed that WCS has it, and at a very good price. I wish I knew because I just ordered a new brush and some soaps from England but I would have placed the order from WCS for the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. May 12, 2010 #8
    amazon's is about 1/3 the price of that

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. May 12, 2010 #9

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That wasn't the shaving soap. The shaving soap was $20 on Amazon for the refill and $60 for the soap and ceramic bowl.

11. May 12, 2010 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, that would be the "grail" part.

12. May 12, 2010 #11
    Bingo!

13. May 12, 2010 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

Congratulations, you win a name crosser! :surprised

14. May 12, 2010 #13
    A can of shaving cream lasts me forever. The can gets old and rusty and still has a lot left in it. I usually only get a new can because I get tired of having rust on my hands from handling the can.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook