US Residents: Where Are You From?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Wisconsin?In summary, the person is born in California, has lived in Michigan, Virginia, Oregon, Connecticut, New Mexico, and now Pennsylvania.
Year old thread, guys. Swerve replied twice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just wanted to feel like I belonged. :(

Still interesting though, you USA ans seem more willing to up sticks and move
relative to most countries, large distances.

Perhaps it's because the US as a whole is more homogeneous than, say, Europe as a whole? That is to say there's less of a cultural difference between Ohio and California than there is between Spain and Bulgaria, for example. Just speculation.

Born in New York, lived in New York, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Vermont. Pennsylvania, California, and Michigan. I'm back in NJ now. I also lived in Washington D.C. which is not a state. I lived in Israel and Japan as well.

Born in Washington, teenage years in Alaska.

wolram said:
Still interesting though, you USA ans seem more willing to up sticks and move
relative to most countries, large distances.

Along the East coast, there are probably quite a few families that have lived in the same area for over two centuries.

West of the Appalachians, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc, didn't open up for settlement until after 1800. The people who settled in those places were people willing to move and many kept on moving further West.

Some of my ancestors were among the first wave of settlers in Ohio. Some still live there, but my branch of the family moved on to Illinois, then on to Kansas within one person's lifetime.

On my father's side of the family, my great-grandfather moved from Switzerland to Pittsburgh to Gainesville TX (as a bartender) to New Mexico (as a failed farmer) and back to Texas (at least scratching out a living as a farmer). Both my grandfather and my dad lived in Texas and Kansas, not to mention that a lot of my moves were a result of my dad's moves.

It would be hard to find anyone in my family that didn't move several times in their life. There's a lot of Americans that have more of a tradition of migration than any long standing ties to any particular spot.

0TheSwerve0 said:
LBC

= Cali

loseyourname said:

Heh! That's how we weed out the amateurs from the pros. :rofl:

0TheSwerve0 said:
Born and living in California (went to school in NM for a while)

0TheSwerve0 said:
LBC

= Cali

loseyourname said:

Ha! That's how we weed out the amateurs from the pros. :devil:

Hmm. New Mexico - Domingo (ghost town on Santo Domingo Reservation)

People here are mostly ALL from here for at least the past 1200 years. In Pena Blanca, a town nearby, there are people whose famuilies got here in the past 100 years. My family is from the East Coast, So I am a "transient" by local standards.

I was found in a corn field in rural Kansas.
Raised in Smallville, KS then moved to Metropolis, KS.

I looked at this thread, and thought "hmm, I should reply"... Then I realized I already have. I didn't know at first this was such an old thread O_O

Pretty much everyone living on the West coast has a mobile history. My maternal Grandfather imagrated from Germany to Oregon in the mid 1890's so as a 2nd Generation Oregonian I am relativly rare. My fathers family moved to Oregon from Southern Colorado during the Dust Bowl era. It is coincidental that my wife has a similar history, her maternal grand parents were Germans from Russia, and her father was a Native American born in Oklahoma, who's family also moved to Oregon during the Dust Bowl.

My maternal grandmothers family was the interesting one. She was 1 of 15 kids of a Morman family. She was born in Arizona, with siblings born in Utah, Colorado and Montana. I remain amazed at how mobile this family was at a time (1880 - 1910) when moving from Arizona to Montana meant WALKING though some of the roughest terrain in the US.

AAK! I am posting this from a computer that does not have ether Google, or Iespell installed. Sorry for displaying my native spelling inability.

BobG said:
Along the East coast, there are probably quite a few families that have lived in the same area for over two centuries.
Though I've lived in several states, I was born about 20 miles from and currently live about 50 miles from where my extended family (on my mom's side) has lived for over to 300 years.

I'm about 10400mi (16734 km) from where I was born, which is within ~200 miles of where my parents were born, but only 3300 mi (5310 km) from where my paternal grandfather was born - as the crow flies. In my later years, I'll likely end up several thousand miles from where I am now.

gravenewworld said:
Ahh I'm glad I am probably the only person on this board who can rightfully say they were born and raised in the good 'ol state of DELAWARE!

Living in Philadelphia, PA now though.

Hey! I'm on this board!

Integral said:
Pretty much everyone living on the West coast has a mobile history. My maternal Grandfather imagrated from Germany to Oregon in the mid 1890's so as a 2nd Generation Oregonian I am relativly rare. My fathers family moved to Oregon from Southern Colorado during the Dust Bowl era. It is coincidental that my wife has a similar history, her maternal grand parents were Germans from Russia, and her father was a Native American born in Oklahoma, who's family also moved to Oregon during the Dust Bowl.

My maternal grandmothers family was the interesting one. She was 1 of 15 kids of a Morman family. She was born in Arizona, with siblings born in Utah, Colorado and Montana. I remain amazed at how mobile this family was at a time (1880 - 1910) when moving from Arizona to Montana meant WALKING though some of the roughest terrain .

Best one so far :smile:

Born and live in michigan. Spent about a year or two total (off and on) living in new mexico though.

Born in BC, living in BC. For some reason I have this odd feeling I'm in the wrong thread.

durt said:
Hey! I'm on this board!

Not for more longer now that you've drawn attention to yourself. Noob mistake. It was nice knowing you though.

Michigan, and with any luck I'll be staying here.

<h2>1. Where do most US residents come from?</h2><p>According to the US Census Bureau, the majority of US residents (around 76%) were born in the United States. The remaining 24% come from a variety of other countries.</p><h2>2. How many US residents are immigrants?</h2><p>As of 2019, there were approximately 44.9 million foreign-born individuals living in the United States, making up about 13.7% of the total US population.</p><h2>3. What is the most common country of origin for US residents?</h2><p>Mexico is the most common country of origin for US residents, with over 11 million Mexican-born individuals living in the US as of 2019. This is followed by China, India, the Philippines, and El Salvador.</p><h2>4. How has the diversity of US residents changed over time?</h2><p>The US has become increasingly diverse over the years, with a growing number of residents coming from a variety of countries and ethnic backgrounds. In 1970, over 83% of US residents were born in the US, compared to around 76% in 2019.</p><h2>5. Are there any states with a higher concentration of foreign-born residents?</h2><p>Yes, there are several states with a higher concentration of foreign-born residents, including California, New York, New Jersey, and Florida. These states tend to have larger cities with more job opportunities and cultural diversity, making them attractive destinations for immigrants.</p>

1. Where do most US residents come from?

According to the US Census Bureau, the majority of US residents (around 76%) were born in the United States. The remaining 24% come from a variety of other countries.

2. How many US residents are immigrants?

As of 2019, there were approximately 44.9 million foreign-born individuals living in the United States, making up about 13.7% of the total US population.

3. What is the most common country of origin for US residents?

Mexico is the most common country of origin for US residents, with over 11 million Mexican-born individuals living in the US as of 2019. This is followed by China, India, the Philippines, and El Salvador.

4. How has the diversity of US residents changed over time?

The US has become increasingly diverse over the years, with a growing number of residents coming from a variety of countries and ethnic backgrounds. In 1970, over 83% of US residents were born in the US, compared to around 76% in 2019.

5. Are there any states with a higher concentration of foreign-born residents?

Yes, there are several states with a higher concentration of foreign-born residents, including California, New York, New Jersey, and Florida. These states tend to have larger cities with more job opportunities and cultural diversity, making them attractive destinations for immigrants.