1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For an Atwood's with a cylinder and a block, why do the objects have the same accel?

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1

wu7

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One pulley, on one side we have a block with mass m.
    On the other side we have a cylinder with mass m.
    Cylinder (radius R) has unlimited string (massless, negligible thickness, no slippage)

So you can imagine two blocks falling as more string unravels from the cylinder.

I am told that these two objects have the same acceleration downwards. Why?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    ma=mg-T

torque? T*R=I*[itex]\alpha[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem made it sound like this was a quick, obvious argument.
    I proceeded to a longer argument, finding that the accelerations of both masses were (2/3)g downward:

starting with the cylinder-
    TR=I*[itex]\alpha[/itex]
    T*R2 = (1/2)M*R2 * a
    Finding T= (1/2)ma, then plugging T back into the standard F=ma equations.
    Then I find the acceleration of the block to be (2/3)g as well.

Is this even right? If it is, was there a way to show that the objects' accelerations were the same without finding the actual accelerations?

The reason I don't think this is right is because I did the problem using conservation of energy using the assumption that the objects fell down at the same acceleration.
    With conservation of energy I got acceleration=(1/2)g (conserving KE, PE, angular KE)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    Re: For an Atwood's with a cylinder and a block, why do the objects have the same acc

I think you don't need to use torque.
    By F= m * a(center of mass) you get that their accel will only depend on forces applied to them. In both cases block and cylinder you have F = T - mg.
    Then => m * aBlock = m * aCylinder => aBlock = aCylinder

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook