Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,521
The cousin Itt of dogs:

Cousin Itt:
Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 4.22.58 PM.png

• Love
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,522

• Wow
  • Love
Likes DennisN, berkeman, phinds and 1 other person
  • #2,523

• Love
Likes DennisN, phinds and Ibix
  • #2,524
Action!

1917.jpg

Buzzards swoop into each other over the high hills and grasslands in the Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, UK, Photograph: Ben Birchall/PA

• Wow
Likes fresh_42, phinds and BillTre
  • #2,525
DennisN said:

Another one from that article... both cool and fun:

"Hey, give me a ride, will you? I can't bear walking anymore."

2066.jpg

A bear waves its paw at a vehicle on the road to Nemrut Crater Lake in Tatvan district of Bitlis, Turkey
Photograph: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Likes phinds and BillTre
  • #2,526
BillTre said:

That is such a lovely clip! ❤️

Likes phinds
  • #2,530
A lot of people may not have seen this before.
This is a clip of a crab molting its old shell.
The process is it softens and thins its old shell from the inside. The old shell cracks open in predetermined locations and the crabs backs out of it. It then has a soft new shell which it inflates (by taking in a bunch of water). This expands the new shell to a larger size than the old one. The new shell then hardens in its enlarged form.

All arthropods (insects, crustaceans, spiders and scorpions, round worms, and a bunch of others) which have an outer cuticle covering do this to grow.
These are now grouped as ecdysozoans now, a relatively new taxonomic group that encompasses many separate phyla (like insects, crustaceans, etc.).
Each time they molt their body shape can change, like during a metamorphosis. Molts often separate important life stages.

If the crab had things growing on its shell which it wants there (like anemones used for defense or camouflage) it would have to transfer them or reacquire them in some way.

This is where the nice clean empty crab shells on the beach come from, as opposed to rotting dead crabs in shells that were not molted.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, DennisN and Ibix
  • #2,531
Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 9.09.03 AM.png

• Love
Likes strangerep, Borg, berkeman and 3 others
  • #2,533

• Haha
Likes DennisN, collinsmark, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #2,534
Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 7.38.03 PM.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN and strangerep
  • #2,535
This swan got really close to the photographer: :smile:

FB_IMG_16953236786135589.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes berkeman, Haborix and BillTre
  • #2,536
DennisN said:
and was never seen again...

Likes DennisN
  • #2,537
DennisN said:

View attachment 332354
I once was in a park and a couple of black swans approached me. One was terribly limping. Poor bird. I searched for someone responsible for the park and found a lady at the entrance.
Me: "Do you know that one of your swans is injured and terribly limps?"
She: "A black one?"
Me: "Yes."
She: "He limps from his birth on. And when visitors are around then he limps especially severely."

• Wow
Likes DennisN and collinsmark
  • #2,538
Here's a cool little box jelly:

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 8.31.54 PM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, berkeman, DennisN and 2 others
  • #2,539
BillTre said:
Here's a cool little box jelly:

View attachment 332475
This is the other reason why I am convinced our path back into the oceans like the whales have undertaken is in general prohibited for us, and that humans should not enter the sea anywhere on Earth in particular.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
  • #2,540
fresh_42 said:
This is the other reason why I am convinced our path back into the oceans like the whales have undertaken is in general prohibited for us, and that humans should not enter the sea anywhere on Earth in particular.
@fresh_42I don't understand what the reason is.
I have gone into the oceans many times. Only been jellyfished once.

• #2,541
BillTre said:
@fresh_42I don't understand what the reason is.
I have gone into the oceans many times. Only been jellyfished once.
The other reason is sharks. Both animals I don't want to meet.

• Wow
Likes DennisN and BillTre
  • #2,542
fresh_42 said:
The other reason is sharks. Both animals I don't want to meet.
You have my fullest sympathy. I feel the same.
I have some fear of spiders, snakes and a couple of other animals*, but sharks are in a different league - they terrify me.

And add the fact that they are master predators in an environment, water, which I'm just a dabbler in... it's pure terror. :smile:

* Why, one might wonder? My guess it's due to genetic imprint from ancient ancestors who learned to avoid certain animals, including poisonous ones. But I'm no biologist/psychologist, so I don't really know.

• #2,543
Fear of particular animals can be overcome by being cautious and understanding the particular kind of animal involved.

DennisN said:
water, which I'm just a dabbler in
Everyone (physically limited excepted) should be able to swim and feel at ease in the water.
Its called waterproofing. Its best learned early in life.
Every parent (in a non-desert environment) should make sure their kids can swim.

Likes DennisN
  • #2,544
I was in the water abalone diving here in NorCal back in the 1970s at the same time that a buddy of mine got attacked by a great white shark a couple coves south of me. He survived, but was torn up pretty badly. I hate sharks.

• Wow
  • #2,545
DennisN said:
You have my fullest sympathy. I feel the same.
I have some fear of spiders, snakes and a couple of other animals*, but sharks are in a different league - they terrify me.
I just watched a documentary about the Twilight Zone in oceans at around 1km depth. It was very fascinating and interesting. And watching sharks and Spongebob jelly fishing on TV is not the same as risking an encounter. I would carry a gallon of vinegar with me when I had to risk any jellies, especially box jellies.

Likes DennisN
  • #2,546
BillTre said:
Everyone (physically limited excepted) should be able to swim and feel at ease in the water.
Its called waterproofing. Its best learned early in life.
I was taught to swim as a very young child. I loved body-surfing.

But swim competence means nothing against being rammed into the sand head-first by a dumper wave (a mistake I only made once and was lucky to survive without serious injury).

Then there's the blue bottles which got me a few times as I was growing up. They're nowhere as serious as box jellies but they do sting like hell.

Oh, and then there's the shark that (unbeknownst to me) passed within a few metres of me in the surf -- somehow I hadn't heard the life guard's siren nor my mother screaming at me from the shoreline... :oldeek:

• Wow
  • #2,549
Yum, good!

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 11.02.09 AM.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #2,550
  • Haha
  • #2,551
Here is a clip from Jeremy Wade in River Monsters (my daughter (field biologist) used to love this show) catching a Goliath Tigerfish. It is one of the scariest freshwater fish.

• Wow
  • #2,552
BillTre said:
Here is a clip from Jeremy Wade in River Monsters (my daughter (field biologist) used to love this show) catching a Goliath Tigerfish. It is one of the scariest freshwater fish.
What a monster! :smile: I had never heard about it.

• #2,553
_nc_ohc=R9kzl2L49l4AX_vW4vL&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes Rive, collinsmark, Bystander and 3 others
  • #2,554
Pollen butt.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #2,555
These are baby caecillians. Limbless, tailless amphibians.
The picture is from this NY Times article on them.
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 1.28.25 PM.png

I used to keep some of these. I was trying to get them to breed.
They fertilize internally. Some species have a 21 month gestation period.

They are weird and interesting pets. They are strong worm-like things and great escape artists (making them a challenge to keep).
Some are terrestrial, but those available through the pet trade are usually aquatic species. Caecillians also shed their skin, somewhat like snakes (not related). They are now difficult to get because it has become a hassle to import them, especially since they are "weird" and a lot of people don't know what they are.
I had some that grew too about 2.5 feet.
They are excellent for sending to school with a kid for show and tell. Harmless, very active when picked up and have a slimy skin. (Beware, some teachers might freak out).

• Wow