Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For bird Watchers

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This might be a fun project for some of our members that enjoy bird watching. It's a project by Cornell U that wants to gather information on bird sightings. I was thinking turbo might be a good source.

I see Redbelly98 has been spotted.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/News/PressReleaseAutumn07.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2
    Your post reminded me that I need to get some birdseed. The feeder attracts a nice variety of birds, but every once in awhile, a small Cooper's or Sharp-shinned hawk will perch nearby and make a meal of one of the birds. It doesn't happen very often though. The birds seem to have a sixth sense about that, and they usually scatter or freeze when they become aware of a predator. I do wonder sometimes though if the feeder isn't a magnet for some poor unsuspecting bird. On the other hand, the hawks have to eat too.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3

Evo

I have hawks, so I usually put food out under my covered patio, that way they can eat without being eaten. But I agree, a bird feeder out in the open is a hawk diner if you have hawks.

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They might be really interested in your NotAGoshawk, Evo.

I don't think they'd be too excited about my crow sightings.

One of OmCheeto's bird's (apostrophe abuse?) friends came to see me yesterday. I had a little brown dove on my patio all day. Every time I opened the door, there she was.

7. Feb 17, 2009 #6

Evo

I wish I could get a picture of the NotAGoshawk. I still have never seen a picture of a hawk that looks like it. But, I would expect no less than a freak hawk in my back yard.

8. Feb 17, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or perhaps NotEvo could get a picture of NotAGoshawk :smile:

9. Feb 17, 2009 #8

Evo

I had a Carolina Wren the other day, so pretty!

10. Feb 17, 2009 #9

Astronuc

Geez, we've seen all those birds.

I'll have to post my latest picture of our neighborhood Melanerpes carolinus.

We see quite a few birds from the mid-Atlantic region. We have a lot of finches, tufted titmice and chickadees, and an occasional Carolina Wren. We recently have about a dozen pine siskins, and they seem to be recent arrivals in our area.

I also have to get pics of our neighborhood hawks. We have a pair of redtails in the area, and at least one Cooper's hawk.

11. Feb 17, 2009 #10

Evo

12. Feb 17, 2009 #11

Astronuc

13. Feb 17, 2009 #12
    It won't be long before the juncos are gone. They've been plentiful here this winter (mid-Atlantic). You can check out the birding list for your area and other lists here: http://birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html

14. Feb 17, 2009 #13
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Feb 17, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

We have pileated woodpeckers here, and they love digging into dead trees for bugs, though they hammer on live ones when they want to make noise. They are shy, but I have had them come pretty close to me when I was sitting quietly while hunting. Their calls can be pretty crazy-sounding.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  16. Feb 18, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Pileateds have an interesting and loud call. We've had one visit the downed trunks in our yard, and he really chopped it, sending pieces of trunk flying several feet.

17. Feb 18, 2009 #16

Evo

The juncos are a hoot to watch! When there is seed mixed in with chaf on the ground, they do this little kick with one foot that sends everything flying allowing them to find the seeds. The movement is so quick and it's pretty powerful considering how tiny their feet are.

18. Feb 18, 2009 #17

turbo

Gold Member

When the slate juncos are ground-feeding in the hulls and dropped seeds under the feeder, they make metallic "pinging" calls that sound like someone is tapping on a hammered dulcimer. Do yours do that?

19. Feb 18, 2009 #18
    They do the same thing when they're creating a cavity for a nesting site. I've seen them in the woods, high up on a tree, sending chunks of wood flying all over while they are digging out the cavity. A few days later when I returned, there was a nice, large, oval hole. On some soft, decayed trees they will just rip'em apart looking for insects and grubs to feed on. They are really equipped to do some serious drilling.

20. Feb 18, 2009 #19
    Piliated woodpeckers are amazing! When I was a teen I used to bike to a rural park that I knew had them.

My brother and I volunteered with the park system and also went on "woodcock night hikes" during the spring breeding season. The whistling, spiraling descent of the male is pretty amazing (like a female woodcock, you can sneak up to his "spot" while he's busy climbing altitude).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook