1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

$ for electricity at home

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much we need to setup a home electricity system? I just need a very brief calculation.
    For example:
    A terrace house, how long is the wire? How much per unit? How much for a power meter?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    I do not understand your question. Do you mean a home generation system? Or the wiring in a house?

Either of these have complications you have to consider more than just cables there are type of cables with different ratings there are switches and RCD's and fuse boxes etc....

Can you please clarify the question?
  4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    What i mean is wiring in a house. Actually, I'm calculating the price needed if i change the corpler wire in a house to fiber optic.

I have no idea what is the element required to built up the wiring in a house. Can you please give me some direction?
  5. Mar 9, 2008 #4
    Your wanting to change the copper wiring in your house for electricity over to fibre optic?? Or have I just misunderstood?
  6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    ya. That is what i need.
  7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    You can't have mains electricity on fibre.....fibre is for data communications not power.

I still don't understand.
  8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    Just consider about copper wiring at here.
    I have no idea what is the element required to built up the wiring in a house.
    How much we need for each elements?
  9. Mar 10, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

How big is the house, how many rooms, what are the dimensions, what type of appliances are there and how many, etc.??

The power meter will be on loan from the power company.

BTW, I don't know of any simple formula for electrical projects like this. You'll have to estimate the cost based on rule of thumb and experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?