1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[For experts] Derivatives of 1/f(x)^2

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    My question is presented in the uploaded pdf file.

:surprised

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2
    I am not sure I want to download the file... sorry.
    But You might want to know that:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{f^2(x)})=-2\frac{f'(x)}{f^3(x)}[/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3
    I just briefly looked at the problem, but I wanted to say that the file is fine. Just a math problem. :)

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a nitpick -- smooth functions (i.e. infinitely differentiable) are not required to have a MacLauren series -- you need to be analytic.

6. Oct 5, 2005 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

Use Faá di Bruno's Formula for the Nth derivative of a composition of functions (since 1/f(x)^2=h(f(x)) where h(x)=1/x^2). Here is a link:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FaadiBrunosFormula.html

hope you like integer partitions...

7. Oct 9, 2005 #6
    It may help

Thank you, Mr. Benorin. I'm trying to adapt the Faá di Bruno's formula to my problem. :rolleyes:

Bob

8. Jan 23, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

Ok, so I found another formulation of Faa di Bruno's formula for the nth derivative of a composition of functions: here's your answer

[tex]\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}\left(-\frac{1}{f^{2}(x)}\right) = \sum_{m=1}^{n}\left\{\frac{1}{m!}\left[\sum_{j=0}^{m-1}(-1)^{j}\frac{m!}{j!(m-j)!}f^{j}(x)\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}\left( f^{m-j}(x)\right)\right]\frac{(-1)^{m+1}(m+1)!}{f^{m+2}(x)}\right\}[/tex]

where [tex]f^{k}(x)[/tex] is the kth power of f(x) (not the kth derivative.)

-Ben

9. Jan 28, 2006 #8

Mr. Benorin, you see, this is a local problem: the final result is evaluated at [tex]x = a[/tex]. Besides that, [tex]f[/tex] satisfies some particular conditions, which must be considered:
    (a) [tex]f(x) \neq 0[/tex], over some open interval [tex]A[/tex];
    (b) [tex]f[/tex] is a series of even powers;
    (c) [tex]f^{(2n+1)}(a) = 0[/tex] and [tex]f^{(2n)}(a) \neq 0[/tex], [tex]n = 0, 1, 2, ...[/tex];
    The final result is a function of [tex]a[/tex], and the sum symbol, [tex]\Sigma[/tex], will not appear in the final answer.
    As I've pointed,
    [tex]g^{(2n)}(a)=-b_n f(a)^{-3n-2}[/tex]​
    Now, the task would be:
    Find [tex](b_n)[/tex]​
    Any symbolic software may show us that the first elements of this sequence are:
    [tex](b_n) = (1, 22, 584, 28384, 2190128, ...)[/tex]​
    I've encountered some difficulties to solve my task... :confused:

Mr. Benorin, your result may come in handy, thank you.

Bob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?