Behind the Genius of Calvin and Hobbes: An Interview with Bill Watterson

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an interview found online with Bill Watterson, the creator of the popular comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. The interviewer mentions how they have been a fan since a young age and are impressed by how the strip appeals to both children and adults. They also express skepticism about the authenticity of the interview and mention the source, cleveland.com. Another person in the conversation shares their love for Calvin and Hobbes and thanks the original poster for sharing the interview.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I found this interview a few minutes ago while searching for one of his strips: http://www.cleveland.com/living/index.ssf/2010/02/bill_watterson_creator_of_belo.html

At one point, I had all of the Calvin and Hobbes books that were available for purchase. I started reading them around age seven. I'm still amazed by how his strips are not only funny to seven-year-olds, but also to "grown-ups."

Hopefully the interview isn't a complete fabrication. Is there any way to verify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
cleveland.com is the website of Cleveland's main (only?) newspaper, the Plain Dealer (I grew up with that paper when I was a kid, even though we lived 50 miles away), so I don't doubt that the interview is authentic.

I've eyed the boxed three-volume "Complete Calvin and Hobbes" many times in bookstores, but never felt quite extravagant enough to pay $150 for it (or $92-ish at amazon.com).

thanks for posting this remembrance. My kids just loved Calvin and Hobbes along with teenage mutant ninja turtles.

1. Who is Bill Watterson?

Bill Watterson is an American cartoonist and the creator of the popular comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes", which ran from 1985 to 1995.

2. What makes Bill Watterson's work unique?

Bill Watterson's work is known for its philosophical and imaginative themes, as well as its use of watercolor and expressive characters.

3. What impact did Bill Watterson have on the comic strip industry?

Bill Watterson's comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" gained widespread popularity and critical acclaim, influencing many other cartoonists and elevating the medium of comic strips.

4. Are there any other works similar to Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes"?

While there may be other comic strips that share similar themes or styles, Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes" remains a unique and beloved work in the comic strip industry.

5. Why is Bill Watterson's work still popular today?

Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes" continues to be popular because of its timeless humor, relatable characters, and thought-provoking messages that resonate with readers of all ages.