The Many Mysteries of Life For Gale17 - to cheer you up!

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various thought-provoking questions and personal experiences, including finding solace in mathematics and physics, the origin of the Alphabet song's tune, and the humor in nonsensical questions. Participants also offer words of encouragement and humor to cheer up a friend.
Tsu
Gold Member
For Gale17 - to cheer you up!

Thoughts to ponder…

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Who was the first person to say "See that chicken there...I'm going to eat the next thing that comes outta it's butt."

Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?

Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?

Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

Why does your OB-GYN leave the room when you get undressed if they are going to look up there anyway?

Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They're
both dogs!

What do you call male ballerinas?

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from
vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Is Disney World the only people trap operated by a mouse?

Why do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

Why do they call it an asteroid when it's outside the hemisphere, but call it a hemorrhoid when it's in your ass?

Physics news on Phys.org
haha thanks a bunch, i printed it out and'll keep it under my pillow for the next time I'm all sad. very cute, thanks.

Gale, just want you to know, I know how you feel man. I was depressed for 2 years in High School. I wanted nothing to do with the world so I did nothing but wait till someone would come and shoot me with a gun. Well, i went into the School Library one day and picked up a book called Einsteins Theory of Relativity. I always thought about my Uncle and what he talked about, because he knows a lot of things. So I know one time he was talking about Einsteins Theory of Relativity. Anyways, he influenced me a little, so i checked the book called Einsteins Theory of Relativty by Max Born. I fell in love with Mathematics and Physics after that. I read the book intill I could understand every thing. I studied the book for a long while and I still do. It has lots of Mathematical Formulas in Physics to be studyed in the book.

It was then I found beauty in Mathematics and Physics. I looked at it as an Art of Knowledge. Well, I got so into it I bought my own books. I read and read. I then suddenly started magically making Straight A's. I've gained some popularity and I still make straight A's. So I took something like mathematics and physics to take my mind off the World I did not want to be a part of in the first place. Now I'm more involved in the world. I hope to be a NASA Engineer. Anyways, all you need to do is find something great and stay with it, to expand it and make it better.

thanks so much zeronem that's exactly what i needed, just someone to relate to. I'm feeling much better at any rate. thanks all

Originally posted by Tsunami
Why do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?

Aside from the chuckles this one struck me a bit. I am thinking that this was chosen for the memory association; assuming that this was no accident or course. Most any US child would know the song. Is this song cross cultural?

Thoughts to ponder…

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Presumably when they saw the little calfs growing large by drinking from them.

Who was the first person to say "See that chicken there...I'm going to eat the next thing that comes outta it's butt."

The egg does not come out of the butt.

What do you call male ballerinas?

Ballet dancers.

Originally posted by plus
Presumably when they saw the little calfs growing large by drinking from them.

The egg does not come out of the butt.

Ballet dancers.

Hey, Plus! This isn't a test! Just a few nonsensical things to make you LAUGH! OK?

Tsunami:

I guess the people who need it the
most are the people who get it the least.

I loved it! I laughed so hard I
almost tossed cookies.

For some reason the Disney World
one really got to me.

Great stuff!

-Zooby

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Aside from the chuckles this one struck me a bit. I am thinking that this was chosen for the memory association; assuming that this was no accident or course. Most any US child would know the song. Is this song cross cultural?

well the tune was composed by mozart, it is obviously an undercover classical music society trying desperately to make sure at least one of the great masters pieces makes it into the next century.

Actually all Mozart did was write
a set of variations on the tune.
It goes back even farther than
him, and I believe it is French
in origin.

Originally posted by steppenwolf
well the tune was composed by mozart, it is obviously an undercover classical music society trying desperately to make sure at least one of the great masters pieces makes it into the next century.

LOL! I knew this but I completely forgot. Uh oh...

Actually all Mozart did was write
a set of variations on the tune.
It goes back even farther than
him, and I believe it is French
in origin.

This I did not know. Interesting. Do you know how old it is?

I suppose now your going to tell me that Mozart composed Jimmy cracks corn also?

Last edited:
Yes, I've just come back from
Google and the tune was written
by a Frenchman named Bouin
in 1761. It was called "Ah! Vous
Dirai-je Mama"

It probably gained no currency
till Mozart composed his variations on it.

I suppose now your going to tell me that Mozart composed Jimmy cracks corn also?
Actual title: Jimmy Crack
Corn. Not Cracks or Cracked (as I thought it was). Mozart? He probably would have composed it if he'd still been alive when it was
composed, but by then he was
decomposing.

Jimmy Crack Corn appears to have
firat been published in 1846 and
is attriuted to an outfit called
The Virginia Minstrels.:wink:

Last edited:

Hey, Plus! This isn't a test! Just a few nonsensical things to make you LAUGH! OK?

I got the joke. I just thought I might as well put in a reply. My favourite one was

Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is? [/B

Originally posted by plus
I got the joke.

Oh, good! I was worried about you! I was starting to think that all you heavy duty science people couldn't laugh at anything without the terms 'general relativity' or 'quantum mechanics' in it - and really - what could be that funny about GR or QM? Then I got to thinking "Hey! What if they think EVERYTHING is a TEST! YUK!" You folks are STRANGE! But, then again - I LIKE strange! (I MARRIED 'strange'!) That's why I'm here at PF. :wink:

To Ivan and all...

Who wrote that melody?
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/malphabetsong.html

Ah! vous dirai-je, maman,
Ce qui cause mon tourment
Depuis que j'ai vu Silvandre
Me regarder d'un air tendre,
Mon coeur dit a tout moment:
Peut-on vivre sans amant?

aww, that's very cute;

ah! i will tell you mother,
what causes my torment
since i saw silvandre
watch me with a tender look
my heart says at every moment
can one live without a lover?

i am sad; my illusins of mozart composing that tune at the age of 5 have been shaterred forever! ah well...

i am sad; my illusins of mozart composing that tune at the age of 5 have been shaterred forever! ah well...

But we will always have Metropolis

But we will always have Metropolis

Absolutely one of the best movies ever made!

haha yes, metropolis :smile: if only they had a complete version of it, although all the blank bits add to the feel, i can't help wonder what was there though...

haha yes, metropolis :smile: if only they had a complete version of it, although all the blank bits add to the feel, i can't help wonder what was there though...

Wasn't it heavily censored in the US? Maybe in Europe there is a complete version floating around somewhere--Germany, perhaps? Wasn't Fritz Lang a german? Oops - no. Did a search. He's Austrian.

I've never seen these 'blank bits' that you mention. My copy must be a 'cleaned up' version - although the write up that they show at the beginning of the movie makes reference to missing portions that were never recovered in the remastering (is that the word I want?)of the film. The only version I've seen is the one that I own - by Giorgio Moroder, with an incredible rock score accompaniment, some songs written just for the movie and performed by the likes of Pat Benatar, Freddy Mercury, Loverboy, Adam Ant, Bonnie (oh, shoot... Bonnie...not Raitt... you know - the OTHER Bonnie - DANG! ICRS!)
Anyway...GREAT movie!

1. How can I cheer up my friend, Gale17?

There are many ways to cheer up a friend, but some suggestions include sending them a thoughtful message, planning a fun outing, or simply being there to listen and support them.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that cheering someone up can improve their mood?

Yes, studies have shown that acts of kindness and positive interactions with others can have a significant impact on an individual's mood and well-being.

3. What are some small gestures I can do to make Gale17 feel better?

Simple gestures like buying them their favorite treat or sending them a funny meme can often go a long way in cheering someone up. Other ideas could include offering to help with a task or simply giving them a hug.

4. How can I cheer up Gale17 if they are dealing with a longer-term issue?

If Gale17 is dealing with a longer-term issue, it's important to first listen and validate their feelings. You can also offer to help them find resources or support, and continue to check in with them and offer your support.

5. Is there a specific time or day that might be best to cheer up Gale17?

There is no specific time or day that is best for cheering someone up. The most important thing is to be there for them when they need it, and to continue to show your support and care for them. However, if they are going through a particularly difficult time, it may be best to check in with them more frequently and offer your support consistently.