Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For my sanity

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    If you love someone, and they don't love you back, what can you do? i mean, aside from hope they change their mind. how do you just deal with it? what if you want to continue to love them? how do you stay sane?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

In that movie Swingers, Vince Vaughn says there isn't anything you can do to bring them back, you can only do things to push them away. When dealing directly with the person you like, this is very true. Aside from that, you can be friendly towards the people around the person you like, such as his/her friends, and hope that person takes an interest in you.

I was in a similar boat where I like a girl but she didn't like me back. I stopped chasing that girl and went towards her friends. I became very close to one of her friends, and eventually that girl I had a crush on really took an interest in me. Interestingly enough, I lost all interest in that girl, so she was chasing me. Funny how that works, eh?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  4. Nov 2, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

meh been there too many times, forget it. its not worth it.

There are however pleeeeeeeeeeeenty of fish in the sea. I mean think about it - if they dont love you, then either:

1. they dont really know you and what they are missing out on
    2. they want you to get hooked and playing games with you, but think about it: who is the biggest player above all? certainly not them.
    3. they want to be friends, in which case friends is still a good place to get #1 fixed - a marriage is not possible without your partner being your friend as well as a lover. So a friend could be many things, not necessarily at once, but gradually you can go from friends to being lovers.
    4. if they play to get laid is not the same thing as playing for keeps, so make that dinstinction clear - who are you in their eyes? are you an object of affection and lust or just an object of lust? you could probably add more words and parameters here and set up your at least 3 out of 4 is my criteria kind of things here, but you get the gist of it.
    5. about the fish in the sea - its like enzymes, man, sometimes their personality just fits your substrate perfectly, and you 'click' - sometimes you have one thing out of place and wham-o its boring again. so choose carefully and dont be like ohh nooooooo he doesnt looveee meeee :cry: - who cares, one noob down, few thousand to go :approve:

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

But mind games are part of the fun. It's a battle of intelligence and scheming between two people. Who doesn't love scheming? I love schemes.

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    You could kidnap them and brainwash them into loving you back? No-one ever appreciates my proven ideas. :cry:

I don't think I've ever been driven insane by unrequited love. I think that's a personality feature. If I want to be with someone, I just take every opportunity to demonstrate just how damn cool I really pretend to be. But I'd be a realist about it. If you're Quasimodo to someone's Desdemona, all the best mind-blowing campinology feats in the world aren't going to get you over that hump. But I can't see the problem with having crushes and staying sane. You just have to be philosophical about it. Monica Belluci still hasn't returned my calls, so I'm just going to park outside her window and get on with my life.

She's having beef stew tonight.

7. Nov 2, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

There are 3 different types of people, I think

1. intellectuals - into being friends, connecting mentally
    2. sensuals - into touching, hugging, sex
    3. feelings - strong emotions, public displays of affection, strong family bonds

I dont want to quantify people per se, but based on my experience I could attest that I've seen each type and I know they are very distinct from each other, and have different but similar values within same type. Now mind games does take intelligence, but it doesnt mean you will impress a sensual with mind games - they dont care if you are an Einstein, if you cant connect with them intimately then you are worthless in their eyes as a lover

8. Nov 2, 2005 #7
    I have never known anyone who could make someone love them, when the seed of love was not there already. It seems like you would only become more hurt by it all.

9. Nov 2, 2005 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Perhaps there isn't one unilateral answer (or question!)

Some details of the circumstances might elicit more constructive answers.

Does this person know how you feel?
    Is this person available to love you back?
    Is this a person who has loved you and now doesn't?
    Is it possible that the two of you have two different ideas of what loving might mean?
    Are you sure it's love (as opposed to, say, infatuation)?

10. Nov 2, 2005 #9
    Gale, on behalf of pf, I will personally drive to Arizona and kill whozum for doing this to you!!! :smile:

11. Nov 2, 2005 #10
    And if you need me to ride shotgun Matt, all ya got to do is say the word.

12. Nov 2, 2005 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah guys I need a vacation, so if you riding sometime on like a Friday night make sure you pick me up.. I also wanna pick up some cacti for my collection :rolleyes:

13. Nov 2, 2005 #12
    ya, vince vaghn is quite the philosopher....

but even if i'm not trying to win them. if i know they're happier not caring for me like that, then i want to be ok with it. i just want to feel better about it all. how can you feel good about it when you feel so emotionally destroyed? how do you live out each day, without crying and wishing for more?

14. Nov 2, 2005 #13
    I don't believe anyone has the answers for that. There are some people who seem to shrug it off better then others. Are they tuffer? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they just hide it better.
    You know its ok to feel sad and upset if the things you invisioned might not come true.
    The man in my life right now, I met on line. Right befor we met in person, we had to agree that if it didnt feel right, it would go no farther then friendship. I mean, meeting someone in person is hard enough, let alone to put the pressures of love into the mix. But it did upset me to think, he may not feel for me like do for him. I was so scared I thought I was going to throw-up. I came close to backing out several times too.
    After it was all said and done, he told me, he was so scared that I wouldn't like him. So go meet with the expectations of meeting a new friend, and if more comes of it, then so be it. Just have fun.

15. Nov 2, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*throws Matt the keys to the PF sisterhood supersonic RV*

Here you go. Just filled up the gas tank. :smile:

16. Nov 2, 2005 #15
    It seems as though women are much better with this then men so if you are dealing with this you may have decent luck in getting on with things. Personally I fell in love with a girl and we actually dated but she decided that she was not re3ally in love with me like she thought she was. I haven't been able to be friends with her at all. I don't even want to see a pic of her or hear her name. Most women though seem to be very good at picking up friendships with their ex loves later on. It actually helps them with closure it seems.

17. Nov 2, 2005 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Same here. It probably is possible to remain friends with an ex if it's a mutual breakup, like you both decide that the relationship isn't going anywhere, but that is just so rare. I have yet to see a relationship end without somebody getting heartbroken at least a little bit.

18. Nov 2, 2005 #17
    How can one justify love? It's just a very unstable idea in my opinion.

19. Nov 2, 2005 #18
    Now you know what billions of guys all over the world feel when they're rejected.
    Smart guys move on to the next adventure.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  20. Nov 2, 2005 #19
    Almost every single time this happens to someone, they just thought they loved the other person. They just bassically forced themselves to want them 24/7 and just thought about them a lot...

Just forget about the ordeal and move on.

21. Nov 2, 2005 #20
    Lol... I don't think people exactly intend to fall in love. Yeah they may want to but if they are intentionally making themselves fall in love then they likely aren't really in love with that person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?