For other party members: Who woudl you like to see as president in 08?

• News
  • Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of having a candidate from a third party, specifically the Libertarian party, in the White House. The speaker mentions not becoming a Libertarian because they often nominate "flakes" as candidates. They believe this hurts the party's image and suggests that a more serious and qualified candidate would benefit the party. The example of a father-son duo of semi-unemployed electricians running for office as Libertarians is mentioned as an example of this issue. The speaker also mentions Pat Buchanan, although acknowledging he is not a viable candidate anymore.
ComputerGeek
Who would you most like to see in the White House?

Some one from the Libertarian party, or the Green party, or the Constitutionalist party or the natural law party, or the communist party, or what have you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, I could see myself becoming a Libertarian. If I do, I'll probably support, uh, ... :confused:

Oh, now I remember why I don't become a Libertarian. No serious candidate ever runs as a Libertarian - they have to nominate flakes.

I think Libertarians hurt themselves by going for the body count (how many elections have Libertarian candidates) rather than quality. In our local elections, we had a father-son combo of semi-unemployed electricians running for a couple of offices as Libertarians. Their business was going so bad that they had a lot of time on their hands. It's not that they're flakier than the average person - it's just that the average political banter out at the construction site really isn't enough to establish a political vision. Voters hear them talk and think they're plain goofy. Those types of candidates reflect badly on the Libertarian Party in general.

I know the guy is ancient and never will run for election again, but Pat Buchanan.

1. Who are the potential candidates for president in 2008?

The potential candidates for president in 2008 were Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Mitt Romney.

2. How were the candidates selected for the 2008 presidential election?

The candidates for the 2008 presidential election were selected through a combination of primary elections and caucuses held by each major political party in the United States.

3. What are the main differences between the political parties' candidates for the 2008 election?

The main differences between the political parties' candidates for the 2008 election were their stances on key issues such as healthcare, the economy, and foreign policy.

4. What factors influenced voters' decisions in the 2008 presidential election?

The factors that influenced voters' decisions in the 2008 presidential election included the candidates' political ideologies, their proposed policies, and their personal backgrounds and experiences.

5. How did the 2008 presidential election impact the United States?

The 2008 presidential election had a significant impact on the United States, as it resulted in the first African American president, Barack Obama, being elected. It also brought about major changes in policies and initiatives, particularly in healthcare and the economy.