For scalar field find grad

In summary, the scalar field \psi(x,y,z) = (y-1)z2 can be expanded as yz2 - z2 and the gradient of \psi is given by grad \psi = (2xyz - 2xz)i + x2zj + x2yk. When computing the full partial with respect to x, all terms must be taken into account.
andrey21
For the following scalar field:

[tex]\psi[/tex](x,y,z) = (y-1)z2

Find grad [tex]\psi[/tex]

Here is my attempt at:

Multiplying out brackets:

yz2 - z2

Therefore grad [tex]\psi[/tex] = 0+Z2 J -2ZK

Is this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your close, but you didn't compute the full partial with respect to Z for k.

Ok do I have to take into account all the terms when computing full partial with repsect to x,y,z. So would that give me:

0 + Z2 j + 2zy - 2z k

andrey21 said:
Ok do I have to take into account all the terms when computing full partial with repsect to x,y,z. So would that give me:

0 + Z2 j + 2zy - 2z k
You should write this as either
0i + z2j + 2(y - 1)zk
or
<0, z2, 2(y - 1)z>

The way you wrote it, the 2zy term isn't associated with any of the unit vectors.

Ok thanks Mark44 so other than writing it the wrong way the answer is correct? I have another similar question:

Find grad [tex]\psi[/tex] = x2(y-1)z

Multiply out brackets:

x2yz - x2z

grad [tex]\psi[/tex] = (2xy -2xz)i +x2zj +(x2y -x2)k

Is this correct??

Not really. Compute the partial derivative wrt x again.

EDIT to your post. Yes, it's correct now.

Last edited:
Ok I think I've seen my error, should it be:

(2xyz -2xz)i

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe a quantity that has a magnitude, but no direction. It is represented by a function that assigns a scalar value (such as temperature, pressure, or density) to every point in space.

2. What is the gradient of a scalar field?

The gradient of a scalar field is a vector field that represents the rate and direction of change of the scalar field. It is defined as the vector formed by the partial derivatives of the scalar field with respect to each coordinate axis.

3. How do you find the gradient of a scalar field?

To find the gradient of a scalar field, you take the partial derivative of the scalar field with respect to each coordinate axis, and then combine these derivatives into a vector.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the gradient of a scalar field?

The physical interpretation of the gradient of a scalar field is that it points in the direction of the steepest increase of the scalar field. The magnitude of the gradient represents the rate of change in that direction.

5. Why is the gradient of a scalar field important?

The gradient of a scalar field is important because it allows us to understand and analyze how a scalar quantity changes in space. It is used in many fields of physics, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.