1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For sure position?

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    So I had an interview with a top electronics company last Friday.
    It came down to me, and one other candidate. When I was flown out
    to the east coast, and met with my interviewers, I discovered that
    my competition had taken a position elsewhere! I proceeded through
    two interviews, followed by a facility tour, upscale lunch, and finally
    6 other interviews. I felt, and still feel, confident about my performance.
    Does the absent of my competitor mean that the position is mine for the
    taking? Or do companies call in other eligible candidates? The company
    I interviewed with I think is anxious to hire quickly. So I suspect it may be
    the former -- just a guess. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    Sounds like you have a good chance, but you never know. You will just have to wait and see.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't be suckered by the fact that they are being so nice to you. Unless they are a bunch of losers (in which case you probably don't want to work for them anyway), they won't have done or said anything without a reason.

Getting people to make a quick decision about something, and find that it wasn't a good decision when it's too late to back out of it, is the oldest sales trick in the book. Don't fall for it.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assume nothing about the competion. Job candidates are not hard to find these days. Be sure and follow up by phone a week to 10 days after the interview, unless otherwise directed. I always made it a point to ask 'when may I call you?' after the interview [and hoped they didnt say 'dont call us, we'll call you']. Initiative and expression of continued interest rarely hurts. A little nudge can be enough to tip the balance in your favor.

6. Aug 9, 2011 #5
    Also expect the unexpected. I know of situations in which we were almost ready to hand out an offer when something weird happens and we get orders from on high that headcount has disappeared.

Assume nothing about the interview. I've been in interviews in which I though I died, but it turns out that the interviewer was impressed and was just giving me a hard time. I've also been in interviews which I thought I did well, but it turns out that I said or did something that lost me the job.

One other thing. Do not stop looking until you get an actual offer. Until someone hands you an offer, assume that you have nothing, and keep sending out resumes and interviewing. One thing that is interesting is that the fact that company A has invited you for an on-site interview makes you more attract to company B.

Finally, I've found it better to always assume that I didn't get the job until I get an offer. Less disappointment when something weird happens.

7. Aug 15, 2011 #6
    Thank you everyone for your input.

The only reason I ask is that I really want this position.
    It truly is the dream job out of college. But the waiting is
    killing me. I feel like I just read a Kafka novel. Oh well,
    just have to wait till next week :eek:

8. Aug 15, 2011 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Be sure to let us know!

9. Aug 18, 2011 #8
    That's one reason that you should keep sending out resumes and interviewing at other companies. It means that you aren't waiting.

10. Aug 27, 2011 #9
    You have a great chance but you never know what will happened. Some companies have a high standard and first impression lasts. So, you have to give the employer an impression that will make him hire you. :)

Good Luck! ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook