1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For the Graph

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    For the Graph....

x(t)=1+2cos(pi/3(t+1))

First i just draw a graph of cos and than... It is just a simple stretch of 1 in the y-direction and a translation of 1 to the left ... correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Why don't you just start plugging some values of t in and draw the graph? How it's related to cos should then start to become clearer.

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    What does the 1 in the beginning of the equation represent dick?

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 1 is a translation up one unit in x (which you could consider the 'y' direction - depending on how you draw your graph). It's not a 'stretch' and it's not to the left.

6. Oct 2, 2007 #5
    And the Period has the equation 2pi/B...what would the "B" represent in my equation dick? would it be pi/3? .... and how would i calculate what the new zeroes of the graph would be?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  7. Oct 2, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you would actually start plotting the graph instead of thinking about doing it this would become apparent. The period would be the increment in t that you need to make pi/3*(t+1) change by 2pi. What might that be? To get the new zeros of your graph solve for x(t)=0.

8. Oct 3, 2007 #7
    thanks alot dick..it also states find all values of t with 0<t<20 such taht x(t)=x(0)...so basically all the values of t in this situtation ...are those values that hit 0 on the x axis ...correct?

9. Oct 3, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?