Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For the ladies: monthly cycle

1. Jan 5, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the ladies: monthly cycle :)

I wonder if this topic will catch on in a male dominated forum, but worth the try :)

I actually just found out what the cause is of those very annoying cramps and why women can get sick when their period starts, I thought it is an interesting point to be made.

I once stayed over at a friend's house, when all of a sudden the cramps started to kick in. From experience I know I have to take some painkiller soon, otherwise I'll get really sick: diarrhea, nausea, sweating, to the point I almost faint. Ofcourse, it was a male friend who didn't have any painkillers and I didn't have any one me, so I convinced him to drive as fast as he could to a nearby farmacy. I must've scared the crap out of him, since I was about to pass out in the store! At that point I was really sick, took a shot of Tylenol, recouperated by lying completely still for half an hour, after which all symptoms had disappeared and I could've played a competitive game of soccer, so to speak.

It always amazed me that Tylenol is able to reverse the sympoms like that, and I thought it was just the severity of the pain which was causing some kind of shock.

Turns out that the cramps are caused by the overproduction of prostaglandins (or an oversensitivity to it) which induces the uterus to contract. Drugs that inhibit the release of prostaglandins thus reduce the symptoms. Drugs in that category are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, more commonly known as: ibuprofen (Motrin,
    Rufen, etc.), naproxen (Naprosyn), and mefenamic acid (Ponstel).

Tylenol is probably less effective since it is in a different drug category, but it works fine for me (it has less side-effects than those other drugs).

More info on: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00004.html

So guys, be a little more understanding, it really is a nuisance for women.. although I HAVE to apologize for all the times we aim our frustrations at men when they really are innocent bystanders ;P

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2004 #2
    I discovered with an ex-girlfriend that a gentle belly-rub can help. Maybe not everyone, but it worked for her.

4. Jan 5, 2004 #3
    If a male wants to truly know what this feels like, he can take a shot of PGF2A. It is protaglandins and will cause the same symptoms for about 30 minutes. Hot flashes, sweats, cramps, diarrea, ect....

Nautica

5. Jan 5, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think they should if menstrual cramps can already be that bad, I am afraid what the labour cramps are going to feel like

6. Jan 5, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol, I've been doing some reading of men using prostagladin for bodybuilding.. their experience:

And they don't even have a uterus, which is a muscle and which produces that stuff naturally!!

7. Jan 5, 2004 #6

Njorl

Science Advisor

[q]Tylenol is probably less effective since it is in a different drug category, but it works fine for me (it has less side-effects than those other drugs).
    [/q]

A friend of mine used to do research into the effects of chemical weapons. He was determining safe procedures for destroying them. He would gleefully recite all the horrible things that tiny amounts can do with out a trace of fear. He once saw that we kept Tylenol in our medicine cabinet. He freaked out and went on and on about how toxic it was.

I have had quite a few medical people tell me that the only ones who should take Tylenol are, ironically, children and pregnant women. It is damaging to the liver, but, does not cause Rhies' syndrome nor penetrate the placenta.

Njorl

8. Jan 5, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are right, Tylenol becomes toxic to the liver very soon at the doses that we are taking it. But a normal dose of Tylenol is 500 mg, I would never go above 1000 mg, or use it repeatedly on the same day.

Especially in combination with alcohol the liver becomes more sensitive.

9. Jan 5, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently attended a lecture of Acetaminophen (used in Tylenol), some facts:

Acetaminophen overdose occurs more than any other pharmacologic substance. 35% of cases of sever liver failure are caused by acetaminophen poisoning.

But this chemical N-acetyl cysteine is added to acetaminophen, which is said to prevent liver toxicity.

10. Jan 5, 2004 #9
    It is a thing of the past now. Some idiots still try to experiment with it, but most have found that it is not worth the pain. For it to work, they would have to shoot it 4 or 5 times a day, and each time it is would mean cramps for at least 30 minutes and a restroom would have to be within crawling distance.

Nautica

11. Jan 5, 2004 #10
    How do you take a shot of PGF2A? Do you drink it or is it Injected?

12. Jan 5, 2004 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PGF2A stimulates smooth muscle contraction, would you want to have that in your stomach why doesn't it have a reported effect on the heart rythm btw? *edit* because the heart doesn't have smooth muscle :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  13. Jan 5, 2004 #12
    Do you now how long until the onset of symptoms? I once had a the worlds worst toothache for several days before I could get to a dentist (I mean this was bad, I'd rather have cramps, give birth, pass a kidney stone, and break every bone in my body than go throught that again). I figured since I'm 280 pounds (6'6" all muscle, wink wink) I could excede the recommended dosage. But I just couldn't stop myself from taking more and more painkillers (my own pain induced cocktail of acetylsailic acid, acetominophen, and naproxen) even though I knew I could end up damaging my liver. I didn't think a doctor in the ER would have prescribed me hydrocodone or something, although in retrospect I should have probably tried.

All though let me tell you, when the dentist first shot me up with novocaine it was the single greatest sense of drug induced euphoria I've ever felt.

14. Jan 5, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bad bad idea to mix different painkillers (who knows how they'll interact), I would've only taken ibuprofin to ease the pain of a toothache. I don't really have a medical background, but I don't think that asprins and tylenols really were a good choice.

As for the onset of symptoms, it all depends on how much you took and spread over how much time. Apparently you didn't go through extensive liver damage, you would've experienced nausea, vomiting, jaundice.

But it is like drinking a lot of alcohol, you don't notice your liver is being damaged. It is a cumulative effect, after enough damage is done over the years symptoms start to occur.

So I wouldn't be too worried, just be carefull in the future with taking medications.

The maximum dosage spread over a day for acetaminophen is 4g, normally I would recommend staying away from a maximal dosage, but since you are above average weight, this might still've been a safe range. Just keep in mind that a dosage needs to be spread through time.

15. Jan 5, 2004 #14
    Re: For the ladies: monthly cycle :)

Do males also have a similar situation? Because often I feel exactly like that too.

16. Jan 5, 2004 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: For the ladies: monthly cycle :)

Obviously men don't have a uterus but I guess it is an interesting question, since prostagladins are produced by a variety of tissues, maybe also in men? Don't know, really.

But I'll tell you Prudens, I'm sure you've never felt like THAT before, which 1 in 10 women DO

17. Jan 5, 2004 #16
    Re: Re: Re: For the ladies: monthly cycle :)

:( You think i'm changed sex. [b(]

18. Jan 5, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: For the ladies: monthly cycle :)

I think what?

19. Jan 6, 2004 #18
    We don't have time to feel like that, we are out hunting meat for dinner.

"It's time to put the women and children to bed and go looking for dinner"

Nautica

20. Jan 6, 2004 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm now you all have me wondering exactly how bad Tylenol is...

- Warren

21. Jan 6, 2004 #20
    Lets put it this way, not to be used to cure 'hangovers' but apparently it is a good painkiller...used "Aspirin" (ASA) for some of my 'pains' (Mostly hangovers from my alcoholic days) in life...works well, for me...

As for labor cramping, no experiance but I have heard testimony from both men and women concerning kidney stones, both attested to the "excruciating pain" with the Women admitting that it was worse then labor, so seems men can tolerate pain(s) kinda good too (sometimes)....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?