Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what covariant derivative?

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    I will take the differential form of position vector r:

##\vec{r}=r\hat{r}##

##d\vec{r}=dr\hat{r}+rd\hat{r}##

So, now I need find ##d\hat{r}##

##d\hat{r}=\frac{d\hat{r}}{dr}dr+\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta}d\theta##

##\frac{d\hat{r}}{dr}=\Gamma ^{r}_{rr}\hat{r}+\Gamma ^{\theta}_{rr}\hat{\theta}=0\hat{r}+0\hat{\theta}=\vec{0}##

##\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta}=\Gamma ^{r}_{r\theta}\hat{r}+\Gamma ^{\theta}_{r\theta}\hat{\theta}=0\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}\hat{\theta}=\frac{1}{r}\hat{\theta}##

So...

##d\hat{r}=\vec{0}dr+\frac{1}{r}\hat{\theta}d\theta=\frac{1}{r}d\theta \hat{\theta}##

Resulting in:

##d\vec{r}=dr\hat{r}+r\frac{1}{r}d\theta \hat{\theta}=dr\hat{r}+d\theta \hat{\theta}##

So, I have 2 question:

1) What the theory of covariant derivative has to do with this? Why I need understand covariante derivative? Where it appears? What expression it simplifies?
    To understand the christofell's symbols is necessary because it appears in the process. But I don't see the covariant derivative in process...

2) Why my result is ##d\vec{r}=dr\hat{r}+d\theta \hat{\theta}##? It's wrong! Because ##d\vec{r}=dr\hat{r}+rd\theta \hat{\theta}## (with a factor r in 2nd term). However, I did all computation correctly. Where is the wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2
    You need Christoffel symbols to take derivatives on curved surfaces. Therefore they appear whenever you're varying any quantity in a curved space. It should look like this for differentiating covariant terms, [tex]\nabla_\mu x^\nu = \partial_\mu x^\nu + \Gamma_{\mu \alpha}^\nu x^\alpha [/tex] and [tex]\nabla_\mu x_\nu = \partial_\mu x_\nu - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\alpha x_\alpha [/tex] for contravariant terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook